PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
There are situations where the speed difference is immediate and police have been waiting to write a ticket. That to me is a 'speed trap'
Disagree, that is a person not paying attention to the laws of the road and not obeying them. Once you reach the speed limit sign you need to be doing that speed. The speed zone begins where the sign is at, so if you're going from a 40 mph zone down to a 25 mph zone, once you reach the 25 mph sign you need to be doing 25 mph. Not start to slow down when you pass the sign. That is not a trap that is not obeying the laws of the road. Again, a "trap" would imply that the officer put you in a position to speed and then wrote you the ticket after the fact.
There is a vacation spot the family and I go to yearly, and along the route there are several small towns along this major state route, so the speed limit goes from 25 to 35 to 50 back to 40 down to 25 back to 40 up to 50 back to 35 down to 25 etc. as you come and go through the towns. Its really annoying, but there is no "speed trap", because as a driver you need to be paying attention to the road, and if you're doing so you'll see all the speed limit signs and be able to follow them.
All the officers I know won't even pull a person over unless they're doing like 10 over, and some won't unless they person is doing 12-15 over. Per the law, 1 over is technically a moving violation, though no officer would pull a person over for such an offense. So if you're doing 10-15 over then you should expect the ticket, and not give the officer grief because they are "harassing you", "targeting you", put you in a "speed trap" and my personal favorite... "thanks for ruining my day."
If people just gave themselves a few extra minutes to get ready for work or for school or whatever it is there driving down the road to go to... they wouldn't have to speed and drive like an idiot to get there on time. Everybody is always in a hurry these days. It's annoying.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
As I delved into it, the whole issue of the relationship between speed and accidents is actually very interesting. Research conducted by the Florida Department of Transportation showed that the percentage of accidents actually caused by speeding is very low, 2.2 percent, and a large proportion of this related to speeding on rural roads not major highways. In fact, research has overwhelmingly and consistently shown that those driving 10 mph slower than the prevailing speed limit are far more likely to cause an accident than those who exceed the speed limit by 10 or more MPH. So it actually looks like those who fornicate the canine are far more dangerous than those who speed
The 10 MPH 'cushion' given by most municipalities speaks to the fact there is some leeway given to the driver.
Most people tend to drive to road conditions, regardless of posted limits. I commute about 50 miles each way to work and log approximately 40,000 to 50,000 miles per year. The vast majority(almost all)of those around me on my daily commute are speeding, myself included. We are not speeding to be scofflaws and to thumb our noses to the man. Most are driving to the road conditions and merely trying to get from point A to B in a safe, efficient and orderly manner. The differential speeds impede traffic and cause more trouble than going a few miles over a posted limit. Knowing when not to drive too slow or too fast should take precedence over a sign.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
All the officers I know won't even pull a person over unless they're doing like 10 over
This may be true for the officers you know personally, but that doesn't mean it's true for *all* officers or all departments across the entire country.
I have passed cops doing 5-10 miles over the limit and wasn't stopped so I can agree that there are officers that will let it go; however, that doesn't mean all cops follow this rule. In my case - this officer stationed himself precisely where the sign was posted - which is only visible after you made a turn around a bend.
As well there is a steep hill in my area that routinely has a cop stationed at the bottom and the people who get ticketed here are not "idiots" as you call them - they were set up.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Knowing when not to drive too slow or too fast should take precedence over a sign.
First off, just because you're driving down the freeway and everyone else is speeding around you doesn't mean its okay for you to speed as well. I understand keeping up with the flow of traffic, but don't be the fool that gets pissed at the officer when you get pulled over and yell at him that you weren't the only one. It doesn't matter, you were still breaking the law and now you need to accept the consequences.
Second, there is a reason there is a speed limit sign, because unfortunately the majority of people don't know how to drive for proper road conditions. If everyone used commonsense we wouldn't have many of the laws we do have, but unfortunately most people don't have commonsense. This is the reason why we have the laws we have.
If the weather has been dry and clear for days, and then all of a sudden there is a good rain; you can't drive like you did during the nice dry days. The road will be slick right... most people don't understand this and they think they can still speed etc. and then when they crash they can't understand what happened. Those are the idiots that have no commonsense and are the reason we have the speed limit signs. My favorite response at an accident... "I don't know what happened." I do... you were speeding and/or driving to fast for road conditions.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Second, there is a reason there is a speed limit sign, because unfortunately the majority of people don't know how to drive for proper road conditions. If everyone used commonsense we wouldn't have many of the laws we do have, but unfortunately most people don't have commonsense. This is the reason why we have the laws we have.
I don't agree that the majority of people don't know how to drive for proper road conditions. I think the opposite is true. Most people do drive to conditions and arrive safely to their intended destination. It is the few who lack the common sense to do so that cause the problems. Hence, the need for the signs / and laws.

Dec 24, 2012
has special drug enforcement officers in plain cars that look for whatever it is they consider a suspicious drug vehicle. I've been pulled over twice there.
Would love to see a pic of your Escalade with the 22 inch chrome wheels.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
As well there is a steep hill in my area that routinely has a cop stationed at the bottom and the people who get ticketed here are not "idiots" as you call them - they were set up.
slow learners?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
slow learners?
Hilarious. Locals here are aware of it - but this is a tourist town with nearly a million visitors per year. They're not slow learners - just victims of a good ol' speed trap.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Yeah, breaker one nine this here's the rubber duck, uh...you got a copy on me pig pen c'mon?
Is it time for Kevin to "put the hammer down?"

Status
Not open for further replies.