Trading Value for Tobacco in a Doomsday Scenario.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mattww89

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
TX
This is just a fun what if but let's say society collapse or whatever. Let's say you are sitting on a huge crate of shotgun shells and I have a big stash of mason jars of tobacco. Big jars and small jars and I wanted to do a trade. Considering in this situation neither of us or hostile to each other. What would you value a big jar of tobacco and a small jar of tobacco to say a box of shotgun shells.

Reactions: MattRVA
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Thats a big part of my having a tobacco collection.. let some kind of shit go down and I'm out of tobacco, that would suck.

I've broke down with no smokes on the side of the road walking... I know that insult to injury.

Even starving to death would be better with tobacco..

I doubt I'd trade any of it.. But I'd imagine it depends on how violent the collapse/disaster is, as far as shells per jar go.

News is that as we continue to entertain this "collapse"... we get closer and closer to it. People seem to be ok with the idea these days, that's a scary fact.

Mattww89

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
TX
Thats a big part of my having a tobacco collection.. let some kind of shit go down and I'm out of tobacco, that would suck.

I've broke down with no smokes on the side of the road walking... I know that insult to injury.

Even starving to death would be better with tobacco..

I doubt I'd trade any of it.. But I'd imagine it depends on how violent the collapse/disaster is, as far as shells per jar go.

News is that as we continue to entertain this "collapse"... we get closer and closer to it. People seem to be ok with the idea these days, that's a scary fact.
I just like to think of insurance for the future. Pray for the best prepare for the worst.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Serious answer: Value is different for every person, and different for the same person in different circumstances. There is no single answer to your question. A person dying in the desert will pay more for a bottle of water than someone with a ready supply.

Even more serious answer: one well-used shotgun shell gets the other guy all the tobacco and all the shells but one.

Reactions: Reggie

Mattww89

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
TX
If society collapses to the point of anarchy, I'm keeping my guns and ammo. Of course, I already have more than enough tobacco. :sher: I might decide to simply shoot you and take your tobacco for the price of the bullet I expended on you.
Yeah unfortunately that is an option.?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
The actual problem for me is the lack of a shotgun.

although a do have a Suppressed CZ Scorpion that handles 9 mm 147 grain subsonic loads splendidly.

I don’t have a problem ruining someone’s day, I don’t want to ruin my hearing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe tobacco wouldn't make especially good trading because the number of pipe smokers are so few. In unstable situations, a lot of trade is done by violent theft or surreptitious theft, so fair trade markets mostly don't exist.

Mattww89

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
TX
Hey I never said that since because I'm looking for ammo does not mean I'm unarmed.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Being second generation out of the mountains I'm in no short supply of either. Well stocked on the white lightning as well.

• Love
Reactions: Reggie

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Many years back I invested in tobacco and coffee for a STHF scenario. I also have a shit-ton of corncobs and rolling papers and a few automatic cigarette rolling machines. I could start production in no time.

Coffee and a smoke anyone? Oh yeah, bring those addicts to Poppa.

As far as equal trades for what I have and ammo? It all depends. Too many variables. Supply and demand will dictate. If the shit never hits a fan, it's all listed in my Will.

My thoughts on the prepper thing? You can only stockpile so much...then ya gotta' start making it on your own (food, booze, baccy, etc). Thus I didn't go nuts on ammo. Not much of a chance if I get ambushed by 10 goons with guns. And they'll then take all my ammo anyways. I'd be happy taking out a few of them and gladly get the hell off this planet anyway. I lived my life...had a ball to.

Last edited:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
The value of any commodity varies per one's need and desire.

Water, food and shelter, in that order, are paramount.

Everything beyond that is a "luxury item".

That said, why do you think it is that our gub'mint specifically has a bureau named after alcohol, tobacco and firearms?

1659327575579.png