PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
My estate Askwith windshield pipe has lost its finish at the edge of its chamber. I figure I'll try to dab some Fiebing's dye on the edge with a Q tip. Any advice before I embark on this fool's errand? What color should I use? Any prep suggestions? How do I fix the dye in this circumstance? All input are welcome.20231220_212650.jpg

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
Considering where it is, I'd overfill it and smoke it until the edges were black. A second thought is chewing tobacco. I did this fix by pressing straight Kodiak against the blemish and setting it with a flame.

View attachment 272242View attachment 272243
Kodiak. Got it. Mine won't blacken from smoking at the top edge though; the tobacco only fills up to the bottom level.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Kodiak. Got it. Mine won't blacken from smoking at the top edge though; the tobacco only fills up to the bottom level.
I had the same issue with the front of the chamber on a Von Erck. I just gave it sort of a diagonal fill so that burning tobacco came in contact with that surface.

20231221_005425.jpg

Reactions: mingc
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
For quite some years I purchased high quality, concentrated leather stains in a fur- and leather shop in Copenhagen.
They are in glass vials, seem to last forever and do a perfect job on my briars. They are basic colours and I mix them if need be.
Fiebing's is fine too, but I believe less concentreated. Never mind, the stuff goes a long, long way.
I hope I'm not colourblind and stain pens never worked for me. Messy and I cannot mix the colours properly.
My OCD is a pain :)
There's also a little jar of "natural" alcohol stain. Every now and then I fill the bowl of a stummel in alcohol to soften accumulated stellacite hard material ( think cake ) etc. before being able to ream/clean it. Makes for a perfect deep dark brown stain.

Last edited:

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I have used shoe Polish with great success. If it’s good enough for leather it’s perfect for wood.

Edit: also brown & black marking pens in conjunction with shoe polish blends everything nicely.

Reactions: mingc and OzPiper

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
Last edited:
Reactions: gamzultovah