PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Just for shits & giggles, I recently tried topping some burley. I had previously topped some Virginias with rum, but that’s pretty easy. This time I incorporated some molasses, and I surprisingly found something close to an effective ratio.

For 1 oz of burley (Peretti BPC), I mixed up 2 TBS of dark rum, 1 tsp. of molasses (regular, not blackstrap), and a drop or two of vanilla extract. I spread the tobacco out on a sheet pan and sprayed all of the mixture. I let it dry to my preferred dryness and jarred it up. I’m sure there’s a mold risk, but it’s been over a week and no issues so far.

This was a shot in the dark, but it turned out that I could taste each ingredient, but the overall effect was mild to medium in flavor. I was afraid of there being way too much molasses that would result in a nasty burnt sugar taste. Not at all as it turned out, and the molasses was light and almost a bit floral. In any event, these proportions were effective, and I assume would work well with maple syrup or brown sugar. Something like Everclear would probably be a good neutral carrier if you didn’t want any rum flavor.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I cannot seem to find everclear here, does it have differing availability? I wanted to try a treacle/golden syrup top without adding too much from the alcohol.
Everclear is very high proof grain alcohol. In other words, it’s very strong cheap vodka. My goal would be to use it just to dilute and carry the other flavor components without leaving its own flavor behind ( like whiskey or rum would)

Reactions: Annaresti Red