PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
Let me know. Any help is great. Thanks! Making a trip in October and taking any suggestions.

Western Isles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Tennessee
I trained into Manhattan in June and would agree with the advice to use caution. I visited the Barclay-Rex shop, and found the young employee behind the counter to be knowledgeable and the estate pipes to be higher quality than the norm. All the other patrons were there to smoke cigars. I went away happy with a small supply of tobacco, including their house English, 'Vincent's', and popped in at a pub on my way back to the station.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Graffiti and homeless is every big city, and if you walk like you have somewhere to be, you tend to get by fine. I live in Seattle, which gets loads of claims of out-of-control and dangerous homeless; I walk a lot, including wearing a suit, including late at night, including through infamous areas like near the so-called CrackDonald's, and I get by fine simply by way of walking with purpose (and I've never had homeless do any more than yell something at a distance).

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I’m going all around the state. Hardly in NYC
Just some friendly advice......AVOID MANHATTAN! It's literally, a filthy shit-hole! I "live" in New York City.... which is a hellish curse that I will have to suffer. However, it's my duty, a civil act of brotherly charity, my fraternal obligation, to forewarn you. Trust me....NYC sucks! Shop, and visit, elsewhere. Manhattan is not anywhere you wanna be at.

BTW, any decent, old-school, B&M Pipe and Tobacco shops.... have disappeared from NYC, decades ago....but, the overpriced, tourist traps, stayed.

Reactions: cohibajoe
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Has it really changed that much as of March 2020? I was going in 2-3 days a month for work up until shutdown and it seemed the same as when I was there every day 10 years before that.

Has it really turned noticeably different or is this just a weird NYC bashing?

Reactions: telescopes

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Graffiti and homeless is every big city, and if you walk like you have somewhere to be, you tend to get by fine. I live in Seattle, which gets loads of claims of out-of-control and dangerous homeless; I walk a lot, including wearing a suit, including late at night, including through infamous areas like near the so-called CrackDonald's, and I get by fine simply by way of walking with purpose (and I've never had homeless do any more than yell something at a distance).
you run into problems when you give off the lost I don't belong here vibe. That's mostly true any where too by the way.

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
I'm from the Portland, OR area and I've never minded the weird vibe it touted to have. Born and raised here I'm saddened by the now overrun and trashed vibe it has definitely become in various parts of town.

cohibajoe

Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Has it really changed that much as of March 2020? I was going in 2-3 days a month for work up until shutdown and it seemed the same as when I was there every day 10 years before that.

Has it really turned noticeably different or is this just a weird NYC bashing?
I commuted from 85-98...I am 1hr away from Manhattan. Last visit was March 2021...Welcome to the 80's. Penn Station looks like Port Authority, homeless, lot's of graffiti, Bellevue in the streets and empty business is something I had never seen(Covid related)...In the 70's (late 70's for me)..to much to say so not going there. All I say to anyone going to Manhattan...Be alert and watch were your step.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Penn has been a homeless focal point since I started regularly passing through there in 2001. Particularly in the hottest summer months and coldest winter months for obvious HVAC amenities. The graffiti would be new though.

Reactions: jpmcwjr