PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrier52

Can't Leave
Aug 7, 2011
Okay someone explain this latakia stuff to me please?
How do you explain latakia. Well im new at smoking latakia based tobaccos but i am completely addicted. The smell put me off for the last 3 years as it smells pretty crummy outta the tin. But oh boy does it taste good. Smokey, my dad says it reminds him of a campfire. I have to agree. Latakias also taught me not to judge a baccy by its smell out out of the tin as they rarely smell what they taste like.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
These should all be fairly easy to find:

1)Captain Black in the white pouch or Lane 1Q (the industry standard aromatics)

2)Dunhill Early Morning Pipe (essential introduction to English style blends ie. latakia)

3)Prince Albert (essential all-burley tobacco)

4)Orlik Golden Slices (a great, easy to handle intro to the Virginia Flake style)

5)Mixture No. 79 (so you will know truly bad pipe tobacco) :P

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Prince Albert or Carter Hall - Enjoy a good straightforward OTC

Anniversary Kake - Add a VaPer to the Mix

MacBaren's Vanilla Cream Flake - What are these aros all about?

Penzance - Find out if you like latakia

1792 Flake - Something a little different, love it or hate it!
That should get you some variety.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Also I think for a Virginia/Perique blend, and a good intro to Periques, McClelland's Frog Morton on the Bayou should be mentioned. It was my intro to Periques and I loved it. Doesn't smell as pleasing in the tin as most aros, but it tastes wonderful when you smoke it.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
If you are a cig smoker you will want something with a kick to it. Get Peterson University Flake or Irish Flake. I also like Peterson Irish Oak a lot. Peterson Sherlock Holmes is a bit more mellow and a good starter tobacco.
Hmmm... I seem to really like Peterson tobaccos.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
i wanna play. mine would be

1) Mac Barren Mixture Flake

2) Frog Morton On The Town

3) Mac Barren Burley London Blend

4) Mac Barren Vanilla & Cream Loose cut

5) Captain Black White

pipmannen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Of the few so far ( 20 or so ) tobaccos I have tried I like these the best:
1. Petersen & Sorensen Blue Sapphire

2. W Ø Larsen Signature Vintage Mixture

3. Peterson Connoisseurs Choice

4. W Ø Larsen 1864 Perfect Mixture

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
If you ever wanna taste what Latakia is like... try Pirate Kake. It'll leave you feeling like you just walked through the slim jim factory.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
These are the blends I would use to get a new smoker from being interested to hooked, and then get them from Aromatics to English blends.
1. Prince Albert - It is one of the most famous blends out there!

2. Lane Limited 1Q - It is an amazing aromatic blend that is very mild and easy to smoke

3. Just for Him's Shortcut To Mushrooms - It is a great crossover blend between aro and english blends.

4. Peter Stokkebye's Proper English - This is a mild english blend that has great flavor.

5. Esoterica's Penzance - One of the best english blends out there. I would try some other blends between Proper English and Penzance.
@Nathaniel - Haha If you want to see what Latakia tastes like, you need to smoke some straight Latakia!! It is actually really good!! I have had aged and "fresh" and they are both a great smoke!

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
Dang Bubba... I love latakia, but straight? that's bound to put hair on chest, and probably your wife's too by the smell of it. So.... where can I get some?! :D

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
How noticeable is the latakia in EMP? I've been sort of curious about this one but I hate the latakia taste.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
I love Latakia and like EMP rather much, but honestly you can't really taste Latakia much at all in the blend. It is fair in the orientals though. Turkish and Greek to be exact. Bob did a good review on it awhile back and stated that he didn't taste Latakia in it at all, and thought it wasn't in there. But through contact with the blenders at Dunhill, he actually found out that there is some in it. It's in his With Pipe And Pen blog. Hope that helps! :puffy:

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
That is a great review. I think EMP will be one to try. A very informative blog, thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.