PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
ssavarimuthu:

Another reason why I asked, other than curiosity, was to find some common blends amongst everyone. If you can, I was wondering if there was a particular blend that would be the "spokesman" for English blends. Is there a blend that is a great example of what an English blend is?
I went through roughly the same process a few years ago. What I did was I took a bunch of top 3/5/10 tobacco threads and gave every blend a point for every vote.
I actually avoided Star of the East for a while because I thought it was too popular.

Mar 1, 2014
Actually I think Star of the East is somewhat unique as it's one of the only strict Lat-Bombs available at regular Bulk prices, and just about anything else that people might list would probably also be from Cornell & Diehl.

You can find lots of great English blends in tins, especially cakes, but Star of the East costs about three times less than most of those, and is exactly half the price of bulk Nightcap when it's on sale (as it is right now [2016 March]), and has a Latakia punch that swings right up there with the best of them.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
In no particular order... but I mainly smoke Nightcap on a daily basis.
Dunhill - Nightcap

H&H - Larry's Blend

G.L. Pease - Gaslight

G.L. Pease - Sextant

Seattle Pipe Club - Potlatch
I am predominantly an English and Balkan smoker... the more Latakia the better

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I hardly smoke Latakia blends much anymore, but my two favorites by far are:
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe

Dunhill My Mixture 965

Ones I occasionally smoke are:
Esoterica Penzance

GL Pease Chelsea Morning

McClelland 3 Oaks Syrian

jaydublin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2015
My top 5 - not necessarily in order:
GLP Westminster

Penzance

GLP Quiet Nights

Old Dublin

HH BlackHouse

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Ashton: Artisan's Blend

Dunhill: Nightcap

G.L.Pease: Gaslight

Peterson: Wild Atlantic

McClelland: Frog Morton's Cellar

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Dunhill Nightcap. No need for more than one English. Once a blend has more than a pinch of Latakia they all taste predominantly of Latakia. May as well smoke the macdaddy.

I once thought that way, too and then I tried Exotique...

Mar 1, 2014
There's nothing overrated about G.L. Pease, he's done more quality Lat Bombs than any other blender on the market and I love the variety that he adds to that most flavorful of tobacco categories.

I think we've just hit that point where most people posting have tried as much of one brand as they care to and we're searching outside "the usual" blends, which from what I remember over the last two years have largely been G.L. Pease blends.
He's active on the forum too, which always makes a big difference in commumity reputation.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Is there a blend that is a great example of what an English blend is?
I would say that Dunhill Standard fits this description. 965 has cavendish; Nightcap has perique. This is a classic example, and is readily available without breaking the bank.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Noy being an English fan, I have no dog in this fight. But, reading through this thread, I'm astonished that GLP doesn't dominate the listings.
I agree, and also I was surprised that no one mentioned Boswell's Northwoods.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
GLP not over-rated. I have a number of GLP favorites as do most members. Gaslight, Quiet Nights, and Union Square are mine.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I wouldn't say GL Pease is overrated.
Admittedly, I don't like most of GL Pease's Latakia blends (Odyssey, Lagonda, Abingdon, et al.), but I'm just not a fan of big doses of Latakia. However, Chelsea Morning is one of the best Latakia blends I've ever had. And even if I didn't like it, it's just genius, from the way it's pressed and cut, to the way the different ingredients work together to create unique, well-sructured flavors. If it were a wine, rather than tobacco, it would be priced like those $50-plus bottles from boutique winemakers that I'm too cheap to buy.
I'm also a big fan of plug tobaccos and I've smoked most of them, but I'd rank JackKnife and Triple Play at the top of the field (sorry British plug fans). Both of them have a clarity of flavor you just won't find anywhere else.
Further, my favorite VA flake, by far is Union Square. I'm not alone in that.
That is to say, even though I don't like 80% of what GL Pease puts out, and even though he's mostly know for his use of Latakia, he's created tobaccos that are favorites among smokers who don't even really like Latakia. If anything, I'd say his talents as a blender are underrated.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Further, my favorite VA flake, by far is Union Square. I'm not alone in that."
"If anything, I'd say his talents as a blender are underrated."
Bingo

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
Tobacco reviews rates the top 5 English, with more than 100 reviews and still in production as such:
1 Boswell Pipes & Tobacco - Northwoods

2 Hearth & Home - Larry's Blend (Signature Series)

3 Dunhill - Nightcap

4 McClelland - Frog Morton's Cellar (Craftsbury Series)

5 Ashton - Artisan's Blend

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Northwoods 113 ★★★★ 3.6 25 English

Larry's Blend (Signature Series) 101 ★★★★ 3.5 17 English

Nightcap 504 ★★★★ 3.5 86 English

Frog Morton's Cellar (Craftsbury Series) 147 ★★★★ 3.5 36 English

Artisan's Blend 135 ★★★★ 3.5 35 English
Impressive list

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
Really surprised how popular this thread got. I really need to get my hands on some Pease.

Status
Not open for further replies.