PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
This morning I had half a bowl of Amphora Burley and half a bowl of Match Ready Rub and it’s just yum!!! I can’t wait to try some others..
I love Amphora Original too. All the Amphoras are good, but Original is the one I reach for more often. I prefer MacBaren HH Burley to Amphora Burley. IMHO they're comparable, but the HH Burley has more flavour and more nicotine (which I like!).

Reactions: Old_Newby

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I love Amphora Original too. All the Amphoras are good, but Original is the one I reach for more often. I prefer MacBaren HH Burley to Amphora Burley. IMHO they're comparable, but the HH Burley has more flavour and more nicotine (which I like!).
That one is on my to buy list.

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
My updated top (non codger) burleys… and in no particular order..

Solani Aged Burley Flake
HH Burley Flake
Peterson 3P
Haunted Bookshop
Amphora Burley
Cobblestone Hiking
Eight State Burley
OJC Blue

Still wanting to try….
Wessex Burley Flake
4th Gen 1931
John Cotton Double Pressed
Uhles
Pegasus
WC Crumb
Irish Flake
Granger
Dockworker

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
If its sweet that you're looking for then I would suggest,
Peter Stokkebye's Cube Cut
Cornell & Diehl Redburn (think this has some Kentucky) and is topped with Rum/Molasses
Mac Baren Burley Flake

Been smoking Redburn lately and it has a few rough edges straight out the tin so jar it for a week or 10 days and it will make all the difference.

rsshreck32

Lifer
Aug 1, 2023
Western PA
Based on your preferences, I would recommend C&D Pegasus but probably not Old Joe Krantz or Haunted Bookshop. I would also recommend trying the Sweet Burley from The Country Squire.

Reactions: Old_Newby
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I know this is an old comment but I need to say that Esterval’s has shitloads of it for roughly $9/tin. Even after shipping it’s roughly $14/tin shipped to your door.
I’ve never been able to buy anything from them. It lets me put it in my cart but when I try to check out it won’t let me.

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I’ve never been able to buy anything from them. It lets me put it in my cart but when I try to check out it won’t let me.
I just opened an account but when I select Solani it indicates no products. I think it won’t let me see them until my account is verified and approved. But hope it works.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
My top 3 burley aren't necessarily sweet, but in no particular order would be:
C&D OJK (regular)
Mac Baren HH Burley Flake
Savinelli Jupiter

I still have more to taste and this might all change in the future, but I don't foresee HH Burley Flake ever leaving my top three.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
My updated top (non codger) burleys… and in no particular order..

Solani Aged Burley Flake
HH Burley Flake
Peterson 3P
Haunted Bookshop
Amphora Burley
Cobblestone Hiking
Eight State Burley
OJC Blue

Still wanting to try….
Wessex Burley Flake
4th Gen 1931
John Cotton Double Pressed
Uhles
Pegasus
WC Crumb
Irish Flake
Granger
Dockworker
I must say that JC double pressed though I only got one tin came very dry and tasteless

Irish Flake is full of flavor and NIC , and Pegasus is a great all day modern take on the codger with quality leaf but make sure to let it breathe a bit in shake up the opened tin or jar it for a couple weeks to breathe does wonders and really opens up the flavor.

May 29, 2023
Washington
Sweet burleys…
-golden extra
-redburn
-sir Walter Raleigh aromatic

Also if any burley is not sweet enough cut it with SWRA. 70% Redburn and 30% SWRA is my favorite blend. If I had to choose one sweet burley by itself it would have to be golden extra.

Reactions: PennyStonks

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
In no particular order:

1) Original (Walnut) Flake - a more rounded relative of St Bruno imho. Once made by the mighty Ogden’s of Liverpool, now made on the continent.

2) Solani’s Aged Burley 656 - mentioned by others, well worth a tin or two.

3) Wessex’s Burley Slice - a good example of the form.

St Bruno is worth an investigation, like Original Flake, but a bit stronger on the tongue.