PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
All the reasons above, plus:
In a world of responsibilities and commitments to other people, including those closest to me, piping is the one thing I unabashedly do for myself and for my own personal enjoyment. The added bonus is it can take as much or as little of my day as I want - from quickly looking at this forum, to smoking a bowl to spending half a day restoring pipes.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
A few more suggestions:
Smoking pipe requires a calm mind. It is relaxing and calming by itself.

Pipes are unique objects. Makes your eyes happy.

Pipe tobaccos are made for pleasure, not just another nic fix. Cigarettes are not more than a nic fix.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
My reasons for smoking my pipes.
1. I enjoy the solitude

2. I enjoy selecting pipes from my collection to smoke that day

3. I always read when I smoke which I thoroughly enjoy

4. I enjoy trying different tobaccos

5. Since I have to smoke outside I enjoy the sounds of nature

6. I enjoy buying a pipe once in a while

7. I enjoy discussing pipes and tobaccos with a few friends

8. I enjoy reading my two pipe periodicals

9. I enjoy reading and participating in pipe and tobacco forums

10. I enjoy furthering my pipe knowledge by reading the exchanges in forums from knowledgeable entries

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
I agree with you all here , my main reason surely is because it allows me to just relax & enjoy the bowl wit a great friend. Its a great experience that many are missing out on in this fast paced world.

Aug 1, 2012
1. I love the focus of the rituals involved. It allows me to center myself in a way few other things (playing my tuba) can.

2. I enjoy the research involved in finding "new" tobaccos and pipes. I also love researching within my collection which pipes and tobaccos pair well.

3. The flavors. I am still learning but I do love some of the flavors I find in different pipes and tobaccos.

4. The collecting. Tracking down amazing pipes and tobaccos is fun. This is separate from research as the research is only a component in the collecting.

5. I love restoring things. Be it a musical instrument, an old car or a pipe that has been used, it is great to see it serviceable again.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
#1- Relaxation: sitting around with a book or by the fire, out on the front porch during an evening rain storm.

#2- Ritual: loading, charing tamping lighting. My OCD loves that.

#3- Art: I always loved the way good hand-rolled cigars look, or the way a well made briar hangs and feels in my hand

#4- Choices: unlike cigarettes the choices of tobacco, pipes, tampers, lighters, stands, tobacco pouches etc. I'm and accessories geek, if its my car or my phone I like the do-dads that you can get for them

#5- Social: AKA room note, smoking cigars tend to be one of those cool to see in the movies or make you look manly but very few non-smokers will sit in the same room with a lit cigar. However a glowing pipe always seems to stoke some memory or warm feeling form times of old.

#6- Cost: the cost for loose bulk tobacco is penny's compaired to the cost of cigars or cigarettes and for me the ability to smoke for an hour or more at the cost of $0.20 is very appealing

#7- Taste: nuff said

#8- Lasting use: I like that I can spend a bit on a good pipe and have it last for years.

#9 & #10 - can't think of two more just yet.. LOL

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
1) Almost impossible to stay mad while smoking a pipe. It relaxes me.
2) I can bond with my Dad.
3) An activity from another era. I think of my late grampop every time I smoke.
4) Its better than eating fast food.
5) Gives me something to do while I work outside.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I did a video on this topic a short while back. It's kind of a long video, but it covers my Top 10 Things I Enjoy Pipe Smoking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pa3-v7jP54
I also did a video about the Top 10 Things I Hate About Pipe Smoking (skip to the 3:11 mark).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av4vXp9OYI8

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
1. tastes good (less filling)

2. too old to smoke cigarettes

3. it's arcane and makes people wonder about me

4. my Dad smoked a pipe

Aug 21, 2011
I love the taste of tobacco

It is relaxing

When I have a pipe in my mouth I do not have to talk to anyone - I just listen