PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The amount you smoke drives the number of tins that need be open to satisfy the urge for variation. If too many are open, you can't get to them often enough in your rotation to get to know them. One needs to smoke a blend with enough frequency to form a relationship with it through taste, else he is always in a n00b relationship with it, the distance preventing a deeper satisfaction.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I have the same issue. I've developed a system. when trying something new, if I like it but don't love it, I'll seal it up and try again in a month. Surprisingly this has worked. If I still don't love it I send it to someone from the forum. Life's too short to waste it on tobacco you don't love, especially when there are so many worthy of your time.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Life's too short to waste it on tobacco you don't love, especially when there are so many worthy of your time.
One of my mantra's is that life is to short for cheap cigars, cheap booze and cheap women. Applies to pipe tobacco as well.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
I have two open now...after trying a couple hundred blends. Now I know what I like in each respective genre and my needs/wants are more focused after trying a good many which did not suit me well. The only problem with switching blends so quickly when you first start smoking a pipe is palate confusion as well as tainting the bowl with a myriad of flavors which could distort the true flavor of the smoke. I say try your best to try 6-8 bowls of a new blend before moving on quickly, if that is the case. Now if a blend is truly bad then do what you will but this smoking time will allow you to give each a fair chance and might save you some money.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I smoke a pipe because I enjoy my pipes and many somewhat different tobaccos. I decided some time back not to sweat the small stuff such as number of open tins. By the way I have 20 to 35 open, most of which are in jars.

Being concerned with things such as number of open tins would take away from enjoyment… now mind you that’s just my approach to pipe smoking.
I would like to settle on four to six blends someday, but until then… :puffy:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Just took a count and I have 15 open tins on the go. I had a little over 20 but I've been working on smoking up some of these open tins. Not gonna open any more tins, maybe, until I have smoked a few more of these. Trying to clear some of these out before fall hits because I'm sure I'll be cracking a few more tins once the weather turns cooler. :puffy:

quantumboy

Lurker
Sep 2, 2015
Being a strong Myers-Briggs perceiver, I want to try everything right now. I have probably 100 jars that I can grab at any moment, but I only crack one open when I'm serious about it. If I open a tin and I know I won't smoke the whole thing, I jar it to keep it fresh. That's the only problem having so many open tins - it dries out to much for my taste. The little Mason jars are a God send!
However, lately I've been smoking through a whole tin before opening a new one. I'm finding that this is interesting because I can try it in different pipes and really get to know the blend much better than switching every single bowl (which is my habit).

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
However, lately I've been smoking through a whole tin before opening a new one. I'm finding that this is interesting because I can try it in different pipes and really get to know the blend much better than switching every single bowl (which is my habit.
I've a similar plan. As an ENFP, I want to try all the options and am easily distracted. I found a median learned in our crawls. I keep several blends open but of different types, one or two lat blends, a Lakeland, a burley, etc. I don't open lots of the same types of blends.
I smoke one tin a week, so that I can get to know that tobacco intimately. Like Quantumboy, I try that same blend in different pipes and with different preps. However, after smoking a couple of bowls of my focus blend in a day, I'll go to the pantry for a little variety in the afternoon or evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.