PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Yes, you can plan ahead! Dry a tin at a time and put in Mason type jar.
I suppose that is what I'll have to start doing. The problem is I only smoke about 1 bowl a week currently, which is laughable to most. I would smoke more, but there are some life circumstances that limit me right now.

Reactions: UncleRasta

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Wet tobacco usually doesn't have any impact on how hot the bowl gets, but it definitely makes the smoke hotter by adding steam to fry your tongue.
I used to always have issues getting a bowl's worth dried, especially with how much I smoke in a day, so I just started drying the whole tin or jar as soon as I open it. I haven't found a single reason why having dried the whole thing is a bad thing, and I've been doing this for years now. it makes life so much easier to just decide at the last minute what I am going to smoke, without having to plan ahead.
Ah yes, good clarification. I suppose it is perceived to be hotter due to steam.

How long would dried out tobacco last in a mason jar?

Ah yes, good clarification. I suppose it is perceived to be hotter due to steam.

How long would dried out tobacco last in a mason jar?
It would last for forever, or at least beyond my life expectancy. If in sealed container, it can't get drier. Tobacco is stored dry for much longer than people may realize before it ever gets to the blenders. And, it is most likely dried several times before it gets tinned.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
It would last for forever, or at least beyond my life expectancy. If in sealed container, it can't get drier. Tobacco is stored dry for much longer than people may realize before it ever gets to the blenders. And, it is most likely dried several times before it gets tinned.
Good to know, thanks a lot!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I'm going with "smoking too fast" as well. I don't let it go out or leave it too long...when I have this particular issue (which isn't very often, but it does come up from time to time) it happens when I'm smoking right along. I'll feel the bowl getting really hot and then...nothing...out. I think sometimes I get a bad combo of packing and cadence and I get into that cycle.

I'll pay more attention to all of the above and hopefully eliminate it completely. Thanks for all the helpful replies!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I just meant that something that you are doing outside of what you mention must be the problem.

As I read through suggestions sometimes, I have to wonder how people even smoke their pipes at all. If you are fearing that particles of tobacco aren't getting lit because of spacing, then that is definitely not packed well. In general, I do pack a little on the loose side , because it is easier to tamp to adjust than to loosen it up once it has started. But, I have to wonder about these excessive tampers. Once I have my pipe going, I generally don't use a tamper again.
The thing that I do that most likely causes my pipe to go out is removing it from my clench. This was why I found clenching to be so much better for me than holding a pipe. Clenching creates a bond between you and the tool. You synch your breath to the fire, and one modifies the other. It is truly a synchronization. Even my worst pipe will not go out for as long as it is in clench.
Of course, I do not have any drooling disabilities, nor do I ever directly puff on my pipe once it is lit and in clench. And, my jaws are not so week that I can't carry a mere 3 oz pipe in my jaw all day. Do a search for breath smoking. It really was a game changer for me and my pipes.

If I can hijack my own thread for a moment, just out of curiosity, what shape pipe are you clenching all day Cosmic?

If I can hijack my own thread for a moment, just out of curiosity, what shape pipe are you clenching all day Cosmic?
Lots of shapes. I used to post them all the time in the WAYS thread, but I had to take a break from there to clear the millions of pictures out of my phone, ha ha. My favorite shapes are dublins, bulldogs, and more recently I have been collecting billiards.

Thanks! All straight?
Nooo, I used to be more strict about straights only... as non-PC as that sounds, ha ha. But, I have a few partial bends, and one or two full bends, but the more bent they are the less I smoke them. But, I do prefer to smoke the straights way more than the rest.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Rubbed out flake should burn right along as long as it's dried enough. Was having some rolled cake the other day. Only dried it for an hour or so. First twenty min or so was just getting the pipe going. Once the pipe was going well, about 30 min of peace and falling asleep. Then snap, crackle, and pop. I didn't dry the tobacco long enough. It smoked fine, and I enjoyed it. Stick a pipe nail in the chamber and dragged unburnt tobacco out. Guess what. Moisture at the bottom. I know I haven't had this blend in awhile, but I guess I can't feel the moisture with my fingers any more or some such nonsense. Start with drying your tobacco to a point pinch test will show it's dried. Then you can pack and other stuff. Of course, you can still enjoy little moisture if you can play with cadence. And don't sweat the relight. Things will click when it's ready.

Reactions: JohnMosesBrowning

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
This has been informative. Packing seems to be about the biggest issue with a hot bowl... Well that and wet tobacco. The latter is certainly my biggest issue, I just can't really plan ahead for my smoking times
Ten to 15 seconds in the microwave on a paper plate and you're good to go. No planning needed.

Reactions: jiminy

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
What’s the leading culprit when tobacco is sufficiently dried yet the bowl both burns too hot and continues to go out?
In addition to everything else, and this might sound a bit odd, but have you tried making sure you keep the bowl level?

Sometimes l get lazy and let my pipe dangle and it just doesn't seem to stay lit or burn right.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
I’ve got a momentary case of bad smoke/pipe hot/worried about damage OCD syndrome. Tonight I smoked a second bowl in a row (only half full) in my new Geppetto pipe. It’s been raining so pretty humid. In any case, after lighting up the second bowl I started worrying about not having let my pipe rest. I was getting OCD because this pipe is so nice. So I stopped smoking and emptied the pipe and decided to leave it for another day. In general I started obsessing about my smoking habits regarding letting pipes rest. I rarely smoke two bowls in a row. I’m pretty fastidious about cleaning my pipes after smoking. But I’ve also suddenly gotten concerned about charing the inside of pipe bowls. I usually don’t worry too much about how I apply the flame and I only use a soft flame. I don’t get too anal about a bit of rim charing. (That sounds bad ! Lol !!) So my GENERAL QUESTION IS : what type of things should I look for inside the bowl that would be signs of having charred or overheated my pipe? When I examine with my iPhone flashlight, all I can see is what looks like regular carbonization with some spots maybe darker than others (like maybe a dark ring about 2/3 way up or higher which was probably from the original light).