PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
The UPS-Man just delivered my first 12oz tub of Edward G Robinson's Pipe Blend - which I had fallen in love with thanks to the generosity of our fellow Brother of the Briar, Grangerous; aka: Old Leather Tongue - and devoured my first gifted-by-him tin last week.

HOWEVER, the big news is this: The Prince Albert Drought is finally over!!!! I never in my wildest, most irrational fears, ever conceived that a pipe tabak - being The House Blend around here - which has been around since 1907; or 113 years - would ever be "Out of Stock Everywhere" for an agonizing three months!

But that's exactly what happened.

While the typical suppliers are still listing it as "Back-ordered" at the time of this posting, a sweet girl I know, who was aware how miserable I have been while scrapping by on self-imposed rations of the precious few ounces I had on hand, located for me not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, but 5... yes, count 'em 5 tubs of PA quietly living on the upper-most and dusty shelf of some hard-scrabble, hole-in-the-wall RYO/LOTTERY shop near Atlantic City - for who knows how long.

Pre-aged 14oz tubs of PA, in abundance, sounds like just the remedy to this terrible, terrible time we PA fans suddenly found ourselves trapped in.

Lesson Learned: Even if your daily, must-have blend is something as pervasive and common as CB white pouch, never, ever, never ever, never take it for granted that it - regardless of what it is - will always be available, everywhere, at any time to you,... and, that you and your daily-bread are immune from such hard-times.

I promise you, oh my dear Brothers-of-the-Briar, I for one will never, ever, never ever, never allow this to happen to your friend and humble narrator - Sherm Natman - again!

If it does, then shame on me!

Now, to begin slowly stockpiling tubs of EGR; in addition to more tubs of PA when it becomes available again through the big boys. - Sherm Natman
ptb_prince_albert_14oz.jpg
The face of relief and reassurance on every tub and pouch!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
How does PA hold up over time? Burley isn't proclaimed for improving with age like Virginia, although being a burley guy, I think it sometimes does. But it stores well; you won't get much or any detectable deterioration, in general. Older packaging may have been a little sturdier than today's, so that might help. All this assumes that the tubs are sound and weren't exposed to a challenging environment.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Those tubs will keep tobacco fresh for along time. I've had 20 year old sealed EGR tubs deliver fresh, moist tobacco when I opened them. In fact, I've been smoking one of those tubs for the last couple months. One of the keys is to keep the rim clean, and reseal the plastic film when you dip into the tub.

PA, Carter Hall, etc. ... those tubs keep tobacco fresh for years. Same goes for the Mid-Town tubs.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Gentleman, I ask you, what more could a man desire... other than 10 more tubs of Prince Albert , 10 more tubs of Edward G Robinson, and 4 more big dogs? - Sherm Natman
View attachment 59276
You lost me at EGR

Picture Robinson peering over Gordon Sutliff’s shoulder, as a coven of hooked-nosed witches stir test batch number 13... the one to become the final recipe...

“Gordon? Get in here...”

“I’m gonna turn his lungs black!”

“Blend in some rare cigar bands! - Ribbon cut em.”

“Some people have youth, some have beauty - I have menace. Hey, kid! Gimme that grape juice!”

“Kid? You’re one ugly baby..”

“What’s a matter kid?”

“You don’t know how to open the door?

Put your hand on the knob...

Turn it to the left...

Pull it toward you...

That’s it..

Now SCRAM!”

“Let’s case this burley, Gordon. More Grape juice.”

“I want this to taste just like candied marshmallow... for my good pal, Grangerous”

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
So this is what we have come to....stockpiling OTC blends. Not ESO, SG, G&H or Pease... SWR, EGR, PA and Granger. The buying frenzy is on and I for one am going to put my order in tonight. I'm with Nate, I don't want to be caught out without these great blends.
I dunno, Fur. I don’t want to see a run on the bank. But the anti’s will eventually do to pipe tobaccos what they’ve done to the price of cigarettes and ammunition in order to discourage demand.

Like JimInks points out, sealed tobacco stays fresh for a very long time. And favorite like Granger could disappear tomorrow. Prices aren’t going down so today’s prices are the lowest we’ll ever see. I’m tempted to help the industry with my stimulus. Lol

Kidding aside, what likely happened with Prince Albert was a rumor followed by panic buying. Just like Covid and paper products.

I’m sure when they ramp up production PA will be shipped to its vendors and backorders filled.

Reactions: FurCoat

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I dunno, Fur. I don’t want to see a run on the bank. But the anti’s will eventually do to pipe tobaccos what they’ve done to the price of cigarettes and ammunition in order to discourage demand.

Like JimInks points out, sealed tobacco stays fresh for a very long time. And favorite like Granger could disappear tomorrow. Prices aren’t going down so today’s prices are the lowest we’ll ever see. I’m tempted to help the industry with my stimulus. Lol

Kidding aside, what likely happened with Prince Albert was a rumor followed by panic buying. Just like Covid and paper products.

I’m sure when they ramp up production PA will be shipped to its vendors and backorders filled.
Agreed. I think my plan is to buy a tub each of SWR, Granger and EGR monthly. As far as ammo goes, 308's for my AR10 are sold out but I stocked up long ago. The run on ammo is out of hand. Glad I've got mine. I figured I needed more 3"00...nope, can't find any.

Status
Not open for further replies.