Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I stopped in at Timba today like I normally do for an afternoon smoke and a chat with the owner and the other regulars. I always browse the estate pipes and see if he has anything new. He had this pipe, which is stamped Kriswill with Chief underneath Kriswill and Handmade In Denmark underneath that. Never heard of the brand but liked the style so for $30 i figured why not. He also threw in a free tin of Sutliff Maple Street and I grabbed a tin of Erinmore Flake after hearing people praise it earlier. Of course, here are some pics of todays grab. The pipe has a nice tapered bowl. Some rim charring and light chatter on the stem. I would guess maybe group 5? I will take it for a test drive tomorrow.
IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
Nice looking pipe (cherrywood or poker?). I'm not familiar with the Brand either, nice thick walls and nice grain. Hope it smokes well for you.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
i guess cherry wood. doesnt seem too have quite the angle as other cherry woods ive seen but definitely not straight like a poker. grain actually is really nice. bottom and one half has some great birds eye and the shank down to the back of the bowl is a real nice straight grain. pics dont do the grain justice. just used the iphone 4 for the quick pics.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
those bottles there are all home made blends between myself or my grandfather. My liquor bottles are stacked on top of the shelf

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
Two oz. of baccy and a sweet looking pipe for $30? Damn I'm jealous! I really want a poker too. Congrats!

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
Eric Nording is currently producing pipes under the Kriswill and Eriksen brands.. Don't know if he produced them originaly, or if he restarted the line...

gageploungin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2012
That's a beautiful pipe. I'm anxious to hear what you have to say about the Maple Street....been thinking about trying it myself

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Maple street is going into the cellar. I have too many open tins as it is.
The owner retails it normally at $3.99 but he told me to just grab a tin so that's the one I went with.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I'm going to say "Poker" Usually a cherrywood won't have a straight shank. Just having an angled bottom doesn't make it a cherrywood shape. Either way you did well. The older handmades under the kriswell name are some nice smokers and usually lighter pipes. And being a handmade pipe, you did very well for the price. A free tin is also a great bonus. Enjoy the new pipe Hawk.

Aug 14, 2012
Kriswill was a pretty reputable but not expensive pipe 50 or so years ago. I never had one but they were around when I started smoking. They were considered comparable to Stanwell. It probably cost about $15-18 new. Don't let it upset you that you paid more. I paid about $40 for a Ben Wade around 1972. I sold it to a dealer who priced it at $175, and it was smoked to death.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
@foggy- not upset, just with inflation alone i didnt over pay. I smoked it yesterday at work and it smoked wonderfully. Was easy to clench, didnt get hot and smoked to the bottom. Sits just fine with tobacco in it on not. Just a wonderful pipe and for $30 i couldnt be happier with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.