PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
This is opposite my thread about tobaccos which leave strong ghosts in a pipe. Dedicated to mention those you can smoke fiercely, without tainting your pipe. Those which are great for breaking in a pipe, or sweetening it up a bit. So, what are your tobaccos that you don't have to worry about coming through on another smoke? The ones that perk up a pipe without messing with other blends.
Tobaccos That Remain - Thread Listing Ghosting Tobaccos

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
My main break in tobacco is first, the others which seem to just kiss the pipe and be on their way without leaving a trace, or cleaning the place up before leaving.
Admiral's Choice Vanilla Cavendish

Carter Hall

Union Leader

Hearth & Home Hall of Fame

Hearth & Home Latham Circle Must mention it's pretty bitey, but just leaves a sort of sweetness behind

Ole Shenandoah Barrel No. 76 As far as I experienced, I never could see it showing through when I had few pipes.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Another vote for Carter Hall from me. Works great for break ins/clean ups.
Although honestly, I have yet to run across a blend that really "ghosted" any of my pipes. Of course I only smoke non-aros, so there's that to consider. But I have tried some "lat bombs" and never noticed them lingering into the next smoke at all. perhaps my palatte is still to undeveloped to pick up subtle ghosting...

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I find that the Frog Morton blends and similar tobaccos leave my pipes in nice condition for other tobaccos. I know they have some latakia in them, but I never seem to notice it showing up in the pipe when I smoke another blend. Maybe it's just because I like those kinds of tobaccos so much to begin with. :roll:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Tend to smoke ODF for break ins, though Pegasus and Oriental Silk have yet to cause any hauntings. Aylesbury Luxury Flake has left no footprints I have noticed, but only rarely smoke it frivolously.

I don't normally worry about this. I just break in a pipe with whatever I want to smoke at the time. However, I did exorcize a Lakeland from an estate pipe once. But, in all of my trial smokes to see if the pipe was clear, I just smoked a straight Virginia. I still get a whiff of that Lakeland ever once in a while, but it's just a part of that pipe now.

My Virginia pipes always just burn Virginias. But, my Latakia and aromatic pipes, I enjoy the lingering flavors of the Latakia or the aromatics when I smoke VaPers or Virginias in them. The flavor is just a part of those pipes, and I just enjoy them as is.
Would smoking to "sweeten" a pipe be maintenance smoking?

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Typically if it's going to be a VA or a VaPer pipe then I will char the bowl with something like Escudo or OSG. Simply because they are light enough that I don't worry that something will leave through. With an English pipe I've used My Mix 965 or Frog Morton. Those seem to be the milder to my mouth and I know that they aren't going to be super heavy on the latakia for the long run. For my really awful tobacco aka heavy English or Aromatics I'll smoke in cobs because really why risk it.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Worth the risk for me as I find out which tobacco I like. After tasting in a cob, if I like it for a few bowls I will try it in a briar pipe. That doesn't mean I won't switch to something else later changing my mind on how the pipe smokes a particular style. If it gets too weird/can't be removed...I've had to do salt treatments on a couple of pipes a couple of times.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I can hardly tell it's in my bowl, even when it's burning.
Damning with faint praise...
Semois is on the line for me. It leaves a ghost, but a pleasant one, and it builds cake in new pipes quite well.
It also seems to drive away some of the Latakia-inspired demons.
I've had to do salt treatments on a couple of pipes a couple of times.
Haven't we all?
One of the Villiger tobaccos was great for clearing ghosts, either After Dinner or Late Night.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
One of the Villiger tobaccos was great for clearing ghosts, either After Dinner or Late Night
Late Night may have cleared it by leaving another. It was certainly sticky cake leaving stuff. I didn't get to smoke it long enough to know for sure. 2 tins is all I managed to get before they sold out.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
One of the two is honey-infused, and super-sticky, but not goopy. I never caught a ghost, but it built up the cake some.
I enjoyed mixing that one with GH ropes. It gave it the kick and depth it needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.