PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutter

Lurker
Dec 10, 2014
So I went to Wallyworld today and bought a set of canning jars to store some of my tin tobacco in, and I realized that they are green in color. Now I realized this when I bought them, and I don't think that this should negatively affect the tobacco that is stored in them, but I wanted to get your opinions on the subject.
Cutter

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
The green jars (and they also make blues one) are a special 100 year Anniversary edition. This will probably be the last year they are available. I have some tobacco in green and blue jars and to tell you the truth I really do not care for them. Looking at some Vintage Syrian through a blue jar just doesn't seem as appealing to me as looking at it through a clear jar. Bye and Bye ( if I may use Mark Twain lingo here) it doesn't matter to the tobacco what color jar you store it in though.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Only thing as mentioned is they make it harder to see the tobacco. Something you may wish you used clear for if you plan on ageing it and are worried about mold.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
I have mason jars (Clear ones) And I jarred tobacco without using distilled water - I used boiling hot for some jars and others just opened them and let them air out then put baccy in...Its been over a year now and no mold - How long does it typically take? You have me worried now haha

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Sorry. No worries. Mold develops rather quickly. A month in, if it doesn't have mold you will probably be safe. Aged tobacco gets a plume and crystals so I always enjoy seeing it glisten and develop as it ages. Virginia flakes show aging the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.