PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
Being very new to the world of the pipe I tend to do a lot of reading. For me, the tobacco contents, curing method, and cut, are the most important parts of a review, as the rest will be very subjective. I will read a bunch of reviews, focusing on some and instantly forgetting others (such as the guy who hates Latakia then reviews a blend that is heavy on Latakia)
Even the really knowledgeable folks will be somewhat subjective, it is the nature of taste. Right now I try two new tobaccos per month but they are ones I have reason to believe I will at least be able to tolerate, before buying. So far I've gotten only one that I really hated and that was a Captain Black which was a forced purchase. (It was the Captain or a pack of cigs.)
As others have said, I find this forum and this site extremely useful as well as entertaining. I have learned a lot here, so far. Great place and great people.
For me, learning to love new tobacco is the biggest joy of the pipe. I go into a new taste really wanting to like it, wanting to appreciate what is unique about it, even if it is one I won't buy again. I can spend ages sniffing flakes and plugs. But I'm becoming obsessed with every aspect of tobacco from planting to smoking.
I love informal tastings when a few guys spend the night sharing their current favourites or even ones they want to get rid of. Someone will always love the hated one and happily trade something they hate for the one you hate. Win-win.
I find tobaccoreviews.com fun and helpful but I take the reviews with large grains of salt.

baldy

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2011
As with any internet review, take it with a grain of salt. As one poster said, look for patterns. Pipe tobacco, like cigars, and unlike some other products is so dependent on personal taste that reviews are in some way useless. There's just so many subjective variables; storage, smoking condition, pipe choice, mood, age, etc, all affecting taste. That's why I never judge a new blend after 1,2,3,4 or even 5 bowls. After 1 tin, I've got a pretty good idea. Then my taste will change over time which mean what was pretty good can be great or not so good. It's more of an art than science with the pipe smoker being the primary unknown. This is a good thing.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I'm a little different. After smoking a bowl in my Meer, I have a pretty good handle on whether I dig it or not. I'll either dub it a full-time smoker (like 1-Q and Black House for me), a "once in awhile" (like 7 Seas Royal, Cherry Bomb or 3 Oaks Syrian) or a "No way in Hell" like most Borkum Riff Blends.
Ones I really like, I'll do a review. So far only 2 have made that cut and that's H&H Magnum Opus and Black House. Both of those are on Luxury Tobacco Reviews and on these forums.
I try to describe the baccys and how they effect my taste in a way that folks can relate to even if they are a novice. Since I'm not overloaded with experience I simply describe my experience, what I taste and smell and where the experience takes me. My best review was This One and as with all reviews, should be taken with a grain of salt and filtered for the information you feel you need to know.
One thing I don't do is bullshit about what I'm experiencing. No one is paying me to sell their stuff so I break it down 100% honest.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
I find Luxury Tobacco Reviews basically useless (sorry Keven)It has very little reviews on each tobacco which gives you very little comparison. Then there's some like the Mac Barron Vanilla cream says it is rated as three stars when both reviewers gave very high recommendations but I guess because the second person did not rate it it is a 0 making the 5 and the 0 a three but when reading it seams more like two five star reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.