PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Good day everyone! Last month I travelled to Amsterdam to present some work we did over Summer for a big competition, so naturally before travelling i looked up the laws of the area (rather scarce on tobacco smoking!) and to find any nice tobacconists. The smoking law says that you cannot smoke inside a public place, but it doesnt seem enforced, many sites say that it depends on the views of the owner/manager. I find this quite strange!
What I found most fascinating though, was that the "coffee shops" were filled with weed smoke, but they didnt allow pipe smoking! Maybe I should've smoked my pipe and pretended it was weed! Has anyone had any similar experiences?

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I've never been to Amsterdam but know a lot of people who have been there. My initial reaction to your title was, sure they allow smoking since everyone smokes weed. Wow, kinda hypocritical to allow weed and no pipes if you ask me. How about cigarettes, do they allow that in the coffee shops?

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I thought the same, it didn't look like they allowed cigarettes either - quite strange! Although I don't like cigarette smoke, I'd rather smell that in a cafe than weed smoke!

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
The deal with smoking a pipe in what we call a coffeeshop is mysterious. The only explanation I can think of is that is was an arbitrary decision by the manager, or did you have the same experience in other coffeeshops? As for smoking in a public place, we've just had a series of lawsuits following the ban on smoking in all public places. The basic argument for such a ban was protection of employees against second-hand tobacco smoke. Employees, because customers have more of a choice. This ban was challenged by a group of barowners without staff: they stated that they themselves were smokers, all their customers too and since they had no employees, they considered the ban a violation of their rights. They won and since then we're in sort of a limbo. Smoking is officially forbidden in public places that employ staff, but permitted in bars run by their owners alone. A very good example of Dutch half-heartedness, just like the weed situation: you're allowed to carry three grams for personal use and grow up to five plants. Places that sell marihuana are allowed to buy and keep a stock, but the growers they buy from will be prosecuted if caught. To add to the confusion, there's a group of mayors from border towns that, in an attempt to stop 'drug tourism', are pleading for something called a weedpass. Available only to Dutch citizens and no pass, no weed. This too has caused some protests so we've managed to find yet another compromise: in border counties you can only buy weed if you hold a Dutch passport. Of course, this will be a failure in the sense that it will not stop the French, German and Belgian potheads from getting their stuff. Oh, and by the way: not everyone here smokes pot. What's more: I remember reading that, when compared to Dutch statistics, there's a larger percentage of U.S. citizens who are regular users.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Thank you Dukdalf for clearing that up! I like the idea of bar owners without employees smoke, it is their bar, their choice. I've heard of the weedpass and people protesting, confusing situation indeed!

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
To make matters worse, a Dutch city council (Tilburg) announced today it is considering growing marihuana. "..in order to have more control on the supply chain..." 8O

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Most people that are against tobacco really enjoy their Hippy Cabbage. Wonder what ever happened to, "if you don't like they way someone runs their business, don't go there"?

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
This is just another dilution of the personal freedoms we used to enjoy in this country. In Kansas City they passed a no-smoking ordinance that was devastating to the bar businesses there and a number of them closed permanently. Of course that means lost tax revenue that KC and MO desperately need. My local small town bar has no such ordinance and is thriving. Will people ever get pissed off enough to say "ENOUGH ALREADY??!!!"

Smokey

dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2012
Well, like I always say,,"When in Rome, do like the Romans".

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Sorry to hear about this. I haven't visited there in about 30 years it is sad to see the smoke nazis have have gained a foothold there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.