PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxontpa

Lurker
May 2, 2018
Hello, and thank you in advance for your help with this question (about pipe tobacco longevity/viability), and your expert input for my little "Estate" dilemma here...

I am reaching out to you because I am helping a friend with this, and believe I was just about to be taken advantage of locally, so I am respectfully requesting your experience, insight, and thoughts on this...
Here is my situation:

My best friend passed away about 4 years ago (not tobacco related), leaving his surviving 45-yr-old wife, with among other endless things, to deal with a measurable & (somewhat valuable) pipe collection, and I'm figuring about $600-$800-ish (Retail) in various premium pipe tobaccos, and all of which she has now recently asked me to liquidate for her. I must add here that I am a real estate broker who doesn't smoke pipes; and although I used to smoke cigs and cigars, I truly know nothing about pipe tobacco, and am at a loss here... And because of that, I believe I was (also) just about to be taken advantage of by a local shop-- Which (wanting to do right by my friend and his wife, and basic due diligence for my task), is why I am reaching out to you, for honest & objective thoughts on this....
My question is this: Do I just kind of "dump all this old tobacco out on my lawn" (lol), and then "sell the empty tins for a dollar apiece on Ebay"...?-- Or is there maybe something more valuable here...?

The pipe tobacco is all in un-opened tins, and many are the "larger" size (3.55 oz,) with foil-sealed pouches inside. There are also unopened med & smaller tins, some wrapped in 5-pack stacks from the maker.

Knowing these were now 5-6++ years old, I initially made an uneducated "assumption" that all of this tobacco was (by now) "bad/dry/unsmokable", and was (effectively) without value...
The local smoke shop I took the collection to here in Tampa (for evaluation and advice), made an offer on my friend's collection of pipes-- and said to me that "the tobacco "Was old and bad by now"-- "You know, it dries out or rots and gets moldy, so at 4-6 years old plus, it has little value anymore".... "But maybe some people will want to try it, or probably just want it for the tins, so we'll need all that old tobacco thrown in, if you accept our offer on the pipe collection".

It made sense, sort of-- but they seemed overall a little pushy, and a little "low-ball-ly" for what all I had brought in, even to me), so I left and came home.

But I still don't have a Clue what to do regarding all of this pipe tobacco-- or if it's even any good... Or if maybe some is and some isn't... ?
However-- When I got home I went online and found some (years-old) "Pipe & tobacco" forum postings, that basically all said, "If the container is unopened, and it's stored in a dark cool place, it could last 10+ to even 30 years, or almost indefinitely", "Except for the aromatics, which decline quickly after about 2 years".
So.....Dilemma...

What is the truth, is there any value here, and if so, what the heck can (or do ) I do with all these nice sealed tins full of this 5-10-yr-old fine pipe tobacco?(?)
There are about a dozen of the larger/3.55 oz "W.O. Larsen" tins with foil-wrapped pouches inside ("Signature" and the 1864"), then some single midsize-to-smaller 2oz+) "rounds" (with names like Wessex Brigade, Old Ironsides), several still-wrapped 5-pack sleeves of bright red square tins of Orlik Golden Sliced 1.75 oz; And a still-wrapped 5-pack sleeve or two of Mac Baren Navy Flake tins, and then a few still-wrapped stacks of the smaller rectangle white & blue 1.75 oz Dunhill Light Flake tins.

There are no visible dates on anything except for the Dunhill, showing Jan 2012), and on one other, dating 6/09. Oh, and a Mac Baren Cube (is silver, but not marked "silver" on the cube, if that helps to date it), with a sealed foil pouch inside...
I believe (all of) the tobacco would have been purchased from between early 2008 to mid-2013, and since then has been stored undisturbed the entire time, in a large cardboard box, in the bottom of a closet, in a modern (and constantly) air-conditioned/climate controlled home here in Tampa, Fl.

The one WO Larsen pouch I felt/squeezed seemed nicely compact and moist, and I have shaken all of the rest of the tins, (and found maybe 3 total, (all singles), which shook "dry" so I marked and put those aside), but the rest of them were "quiet" when I shook them, (or just did a "thud" like a wet solid), and as best I could tell, seemed like they were all solid/moist inside...
So..

Now that this tobacco has gone from being "Likely Compost/throw-away", to "Maybe/possibly worth $500 bucks or more for her", I guess I'm needing to know.. Are the W.O. Larsen tins with the foil pouches still good, have any value, and what about the rest of the tins...? Anything useful, special, or of any value?

And... not being a licensed/legal tobacco retailer, (and even though it was all bought retail locally so the appropriate taxes were paid at purchase)--- is it even Legal for me to Sell it on (say) Craigslist or Ebay ?-- (or to anybody else who I don't personally know) except for perhaps a licensed tobacco shop/store?
In all regards and once again, thank you-- I am appreciative of your time (and apologize for this if it was the "long way around" lol); Just wanting to get this done properly, (and behind me) as quickly and responsibly as I can for her; Any light you can shed on this or any experienced advice you feel may be helpful to me on this, I am (so) grateful for any of your input..
Thank you,

BJS, Tampa

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
As much as I'd like to tell you to post up all the tins for sale here, your best bet may be to email Steve Fallon, pipestud@aol.com
He sells consigned pipes and tobacco, is well regarded, and will make sure you get fair prices.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Condolences on the loss of your friend. As mentioned earlier e-mail Steve (pipestud); he runs a website that sells aged tobacco. Don't throw it away or give it away, it does have value. There is a large pipe show coming up and I don't know if Steve was going so if he doesn't answer right away that probably is the reason.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just so there's no possible misunderstanding, let me state categorically that the info the pipe shop gave you regarding the tobaccos is complete and utter bullshit. Why they would mislead you like this I cannot know, only that they are either:
A. stupid beyond all understanding
B. utterly, completely and fundamentally ignorant
or
C. dishonest crooks
Tobaccos can keep for decades. The suggestion that you have been given to contact Steve Fallon, AKA pipestud is excellent advice.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
As others have said, I would contact Steve, people GO to his site looking for older tobaccos.
http://pipestud.com/
I know I have! :D

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The best explanation about the pipe store's verdict is that they wanted to buy it for a song.
Pipestud/Steve Fallon is an excellent recommend.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
You've already heard it...and I will say the same. Pipestud! Honest Fair Truthful you can't ask for more than that.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
All the previous advice is sound. Contact Steve Fallon aka pipestud.com to fairly evaluate and liquidate not only the tobaccos, but the pipes as well.

Do not! believe another word from that shop!!
Also, it hurt to lose a best friend. Please accept my condolences. The blends your friend enjoyed are well respected, he had good taste.

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
It is shocking that your local B&M tried to cheat you that way. Don't sell them anything, not even the pipes! Pipestud sells pipes too, so you could get him to help you sell the whole lot.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
jaxontpa, welcome to the forum. People on this forum are not here to take advantage of each other (like your local smoke shop) but to learn about pipe smoking and share their knowledge with others.
What you are talking about is considered to be aged tobacco in the world of pipe smoking. The tobacco won't go bad or get moldy if stored properly (in your case unopened tins). Think about it as a properly aged wine. The used pipes are called estate pipes and they may have a nice value as well. A 50-60 year old estate Dunhill pipe will go for a few hundred dollars for instance.
I also suggest you to contact Steve as other members have already mentioned, you may send him a message or contact him through his website using the links below:
Message Pipestud
http://pipestud.com/

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Please come back and look at these post. You are getting the very best advice, Here. Jaxontpa, there is no telling what you have and Pipestud would give you a fair price I'm sure. Meanwhile, I'm packing the car and heading to Florida to kick the shit out of the guy that owns the B&M you went to. That sorry SOB needs to be shot on sight, speaking/typing Figuratively of course. :nana:

Yeh, anything other than contacting Pipestud would just be categorically dumb. Some try to unload things like this themselves, thinking they could do a mediocre job on ebay, and then just frump the whole thing up causing headaches and outrage.
As to the pipeshop that suggested the tobacco was bad, I don't know which shop you contacted, or who you talked to at the shop, but many of them just don't keep up with online discourse on aged tobaccos. There was an old Tinderbox that was bought out by a very old cigar smoker in my area a few years ago, who threw away all of the tins, because he was told by someone that they were all past the expiration date on the bottoms of the tin. The date stamped on tins (if they have a date) is the date it was tinned, as there is no such thing as an expiration date for tobaccos. And, as to aromatics not aging well... sure, sure, send all aromatics older than two years to me. I will dispose of them properly. And, tell your friends that aged aromatics aren't any good also. I'll get you cards to hand out with instructions to send them to me as a proper form of disposal. :puffy:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Make that two of us, Cosmic. We just went into the 2 Year Old Aromatic Disposal Busniess and you didn't even know it. So you can send them to either of us. We will make sure they are disposed of properly. :rofl:
Yes Aromatics are better aged than not. It's a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.