PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I smoke lane 1-Q which I love. I bought 4 ounces two weeks ago and keep it in a plastic bag, I usually buy 2 ounces once every two weeks, but wanted to buy enough to last a whole month. The last couple of days it smokes horribly. There is very little taste and it seems like it just acrid smoke. I do rotate my pipes. With that said, what is going on? I have not experienced this before.
A couple of thoughts that I have:

1) The tobacco has become dry (I have rehydrated it which has only helped a little), is this causing my dilemma?

2) I need to add a few more tobaccos to my rotation so that I can cleanse my palate (Really thinking about trying some Virginian blends.) Maybe my tongue is just tired right now?
Thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
When you buy that much tobacco its always wise to store it in a mason jar. That will help the drying. And it couldn't hurt to cleanse the palate with new or different types of tobacco.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I smoke 1Q. I buy it 5 lbs at a time and use mason jars, if it gets tasting funky I clean my pipes well and it's back to tasting good. Just my 2 cents.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
+1 on what irish said. Doesn't matter if it is 2oz or 2lbs it goes into a mason jar. If I want to take some tobacco with me somewhere it either goes into a pouch or an old screw on lid tin.
Be warned on trying new tobacco. TAD has no cure. :nana:

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Don't forget about the humidity level of your atmosphere. Here in Nova Scotia it can get pretty unbearably humid. In the cooler months the cool air helps to moderate that effect, but when it is warm here I find that most tobacco will stay soggy wet no matter how long you leave it out and smokes like a hot steamy mess.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Agree with Grizzly, keep it in a jar and transfer to pouch as needed.
For tobaccos I smoke regularly, I use bail top jars. They better ones are sturdy, though a bit more expensive than mason jars. I just find them better for regular use than mason jars. Mason jars are great and I use them as well. The wide mouth half pint jars are great for holding up to 4 ounces of flake.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I think it would be more so the pipe causing the prob. then the baccy. Give your pipe a good cleaning before next smoke and I think you shall notice a big difference.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I will clean my pipes thoroughly i.e everclear, shank brush, bristle cleaners every 5-6 bowls. I want my tobacco to taste as it should and there is nothing worse than a dirty pipe to ruin the flavor of a good blend. After every smoke I will use 7-10 Longs extra fluffy cleaners on my pipe, which will hold me to the 5-6 bowl mark. In my experience keeping your pipes clean is one of the most important things we can do to enjoy our favorite tobaccos's.
I also keep my tobacco in bail top jars at all times, even open tins stay that way.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I cleaned the offending pipes and low and behold, back to what I love about my tobacco. Thank you all for the information. I did not realize how dirty pipes get after only couple of months of dedicated smoking. I always run on pipe cleaner through it after each smoke. Maybe I need to up this a bit, and plan a more dedicated cleaning rotation. Also, I guess I will need more pipe cleaners.

Status
Not open for further replies.