Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are just storing some bulk, with no real intentions for the long-haul of aging, then sure, by all means cram and pack as much as you can get into the jar, especially if space or cost is an issue. But, I never want to smoke more than three or maybe four ounces of anything after popping a jar. I cannot ever imagine smoking through a pound in a row, or even in a rotation. I would get sick of it. Also, once a jar of an aged blend is opened it will turn to sawdust fairly rapidly after opening the jar. So, I have hated to see some aged blends get wasted after opening a ten or twenty year old jar.

I never pack more than four ounces in a half-pint jar, making one pound spread out over four or five jars. Then I can smoke a jar after a few years, five years, ten years, etc... and sample the tobacco as it ages, without interrupting the aging cycle. So far, it's been working great for me. YMMV

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Depends on whether you're jarring for long term aging, or just to keep fresh for personal use.
For long term aging you pack ribbon tight, about as tight as tinned. The ratio is 1:2 tobacco to jar size. So 4oz tobacco in an 8oz mason jar, leaving about 1/4" air at the top. Seal tight. Put it away for years to age. Flake you pack tightly, but not so much that you can't access the flakes without them getting mangled in the process.
If you're packing just to keep the tobacco from drying out while using in rotation, just pack in a jar and enjoy.

For long term aging you pack ribbon tight, about as tight as tinned.

Sable, I was thinking this too, until I started watching some of my first jars age. I have some very loose 5200 RedCake that was packed about 2oz to a half pint, and it turned black as pitch in just four years, and smokes very sweet. Also my loosely packed LTF is seeming to age quicker than the tightly packed LTF. I don't know what the science is, and I'm not inclined to speculate, except to say that I don't think it really matters. I mean, there has to be some wiggle room between cost/space, and doing what is most practical for how you smoke in the long-run.
I'd love to compare the stuff that was ultra crammed a pound to a jar to what I have at some point, to see if there is any difference. I'm sure the folks that did age their with crammed jars will want to plow through their jars as fast as possible when the pop them. :puffy:

The Pipe Professor

Might Stick Around
May 14, 2016
Kentucky
thepipeprofessor.com
Just like many others, I cram as much as possible into a single jar no matter the size. No reason to leave a ton of room. I put the lid on as tight as possible then place the jar either in my pipe cabinet or on the shelf under my stairs in the basement. That's where the magic begins!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I never pack more than four ounces in a half-pint jar, making one pound spread out over four or five jars.
Same here. I like having smaller jars for easy consumption.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Most plastic imparts a flavor. Also, if you can smell the tobacco in those plastic jars, it's not surprising. If tobacco smell escapes, air is going in. Even if "airtight" most plastic itself breathes a bit. I'd steer clear of plastic, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.