PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckp

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2015
Full disclosure.........I'm a complete novice. Hate cigarette smoke, dislike cigar smoke, but strangely enough, I find pipe tobacco very pleasing to my nose. So what the hell, going to give it a shot, never smoked before at all. It even sounds crazy to me.
So I'm wondering if a tobacco "genre" is the same thing as what I have read elsewhere as the tobacco "family". With family being shown as English or Virginia or Aromatics or English Aromatics or Burley.
Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Chuck

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Welcome! I'd say that in the specific context of pipe tobacco, yes, genre could be synonymous with family, type, category, style, etc. Some of the types have some overlap anyway, but there are certainly defining traits of each. Which are you most drawn to initially?

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Chuck welcome to the forums. There is a lot to learn about smoking a pipe so don't get discouraged. Also most aromatics don't taste like they smell. Half the fun of pipe smoking is learning what types of tobacco's you enjoy.
Watch these video's on packing as it's a crucial skill that needs to be learned. I go with a version of the frank method.
Pipe packing methods

chuckp

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2015
I'm definitely drawn to the aromatic blends. In the smoke shops that are available to me, I so far have really liked the black cavendish, as it smelled anyway, it was Captain Black Dark in a pouch.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Take a look at the tobacco pages at our sponsoring online retailers and you will begin to pick up the categories that describe different tobaccos. I think a quick list made up for this thread might be mistake prone. Aromatic describes tobacco that has been flavored with something other than tobacco like rum, whiskey, vanilla, cherry, caramel, etc. etc. Non-aromatic blends are made up of various tobacco leaves with no non-tobacco flavoring. Some blends skirt the two categories. And so on. There are a number of kinds of Virginia leaf, burley, oriental including Turkish, and various processes that produce stoved, Cavendish, air dried, and other kinds of processed tobacco. But you have to study the various brands, blends, cuts, and other aspects to really get a feel for this. Roam around the online tobacco pages and follow your interests. You'll learn a lot.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Welcome to the forum. I think one of the common mistakes people usually make is confusing the scent of the smoke with the smoking experience, thus they feel disappointed when they start smoking for the very first time. Well, we should blame our noses, they can pick up the things that we cannot feel via our tongues. I hope you will like it. Again, welcome on board.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the forums. I'll give you my standard advice to new smokers: Smoke the best tobacco you can afford,in the best pipe you can afford. If all you can afford is Captain Black in an MM, then go for it; but don't be stingy - spending a little more will enhance your smoking experience. :puffy:

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
After I started on The Pipe Smoking Hobby, there has been no turning back to me. However I seem to cater to non-aromatics. Early on the wetness and tongue bite of aros kinda turned me away from them but I do like a few. Lane 1Q being one of them.
This really is a bit of "a hobby" for me. I crave the nicotine but really love the ritual and all the different type(genres) of tobacco.
Welcome to the Forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.