Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
iTunes is not updating. I wonder if it has something to do with me updating several of the past shows in the xml file.
I changed the line of code that reads: Pipes & Tobacco Show so it has the person being interviewed. So each show, when listed in iTunes will say who the interview is with. The other podcast sites updated.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Was I the only one cringing at one of the commercials during this episode?
You know, that feeling when you're watching a really awkward or embarrassing situation unfold and you just can't help but feel horrible and embarrassed for and with them?
What were they thinking?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Spartan:
I'm with you. That "Molto Dolce" commercial should have been 30 seconds long. It was awful and embarrassing -- and, I have to say, extremely condescending toward every pipe-smoking listener. (And I'm a heterosexual male. Can't imagine what the women thought!)
I was shocked -- and disappointed -- that this ever got on the air.
Bob

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Listening to it right now and stopped in to comment on how horrible that commercial was. It was two or three minutes of cringe for me. It seemed really pandering to the lowest common denominator and rmbittner nailed it with 'extremely condescending,' though I have to say that it fits in with the similarly condescending pipe babes portion of this site. But I can ignore that by not clicking on it, since it's pretty clearly advertised. Couldn't see the commercial coming.
EDIT I will say, however, that Ouellette is a really good interview. And I thought Brian did a pretty good job with covering both his history and his current work. So good work. Just ditch the commercial.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
I've had the pleasure of meeting Russ in Albany. He's a stand up guy; authentic and gracious. Not withstanding Russ' skill as a blender, the H&H series (and everything I've sampled by him) are imbued with his inherent qualities.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks to Russ, Kevin and Brian for letting Russ tell us his story. I enjoyed learning how Russ got started, and a little more about his process in blending. It is particularly refreshing to me to know that Russ develops his blends with more palate than process. While this isn't easy, it can bring a lot of creativity to the product development lab which more procedure driven development processes might miss. I wonder, however, how the impact of moving to Bethlehem has impacted Russ' development work since he had to leave his pipe-club (sensory/tasting panel) behind?
Cheers,
-- Pat

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I download the show and always listen about a week later. I listened to this show on my way to NY this morning. I thought it was one of the best interviews Brian has done. I've been fortunate to have met Russ a few times in NY and at Richmond, but I really didn't know the full history of his blending experience. I also enjoyed hearing about Mel Feldman's connection to Russ. FWIW, that commercial was the only one I haven't fast-forwarded thru....

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I got behind on episodes over the holidays and just got to listen to this one last night. I really enjoyed Russ' interview; he seems like such a great guy and definitely a wealth of knowledge and terrific blender. Thanks for bringing this to us!

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
I enjoyed the fact that Larry's Blend, one of my favorites, took Russ one try. Very cool, and I'm happy that it happened like that.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
No, they are owned by Cigar International. Russ works there as a blender. And I'm sure he does other things.
Read full story here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-news/pipesandcigarscom-acquired-by-cigars-international/#more-6738

Status
Not open for further replies.