PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grrrrr609

Lurker
Dec 27, 2013
I have aked this question elsewhere and I have searched this forum and the internet but not finding much of an answer. I come to pipes via cigars where tobacco beetles are a concern, so my question is, are tobacco beetles a concern in pipe tobacco?

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
True story; I once opened a 20 plus year old tin of tobacco. Only seconds after opening, hundreds of tiny winged bugs started moving around in the tobacco. I was in shock and still have no explanation as to how that happened.
I've been dealing in tinned tobacco for years and have never had one instance of tobacco bugs in a tin that I know of (other than the above referenced Ripley's incident.
Pipestud

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Huh, I've heard of them being a problem with cigars, but I don't recall anyone ever mentioning them where pipe tobacco is concerned. But I imagine there would be the same level of possibility.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I have read that the high temps used in manufacturing pipe tobacco should kill the beetles if any. I also understand that the beetles usually hatch above 70 degrees. My guess is that it is not a problem, and if it is, it would only be one jar, not likely to through your whole stash unless they can chew through glass and metal.

Jar your tobacco in 8 oz jars, this way if you happen to get some, it is only in a couple ounces of tobacco. Second by using the smaller jars you can test how it is aging with out setting back the tobacco aging buy unsealing a large jar.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Steve
What in heaven's name did you do after opening the tin and seeing the beetles? Did you panic?
Did any of them get away?

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Jar your tobacco in 8 oz jars, this way if you happen to get some, it is only in a couple ounces of tobacco.
That is an excellent idea, of which I had asked about over a year ago.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lasioderma_serricorne
Interesting little guys.
I had a bunch in an Italian herb breading can a tear back. None flew though. They were content being poured into a bowl, posed for a few pics, and finally being thrown outside in the cold where they died within minutes.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
If they are present in pipe tobacco, I am pretty sure they will remain dormant. Unlike cigars, pipe tobacco is to be stored in a cool, dry location. The beetle eggs should only hatch in the ideal conditions which is hot and humid, above 75-degree F.
Also, I assumed tobacco beetle was from tropical climates, making them inherent to locations such as the Dominican Rebuplic, Cuba and other cigar growing regions. I know pipe tobacco is grown all over the world, which would mean there have to be some locations that would be prone to beetle infestation. All that being said, I'm pretty sure it is Davidoff who put their cigars through a vacum to kill the beetle egg and protect the cigar. I would assume this would be much easier with pipe tobacco because there is no "shape" to protect.
In short, I would think tobacco beetle, though possibly present, are in much smaller numbers and much lower risk then when compared to cigars.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Hmmm... maybe the beetles are part of a new blend. That could be why I hear an occasion crackle in my bowl.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
First time I ever saw one I had just finished toasting the foot of a Ghurka Legend. The cigar had come from a B&M that was new to me. I remember thinking as I walked into the humidor that it seemed too warm and too humid. Anyway, after the initial toasting, I lifted the cigar to my mouth. Just as I pulled that first slow draw in, out comes a small, squirming, cream colored beetle. There I was looking cross-eyed straight down my nose at this tiny creature. Needless to say, I returned the sticks. They refunded my money, gave me three free picks of any other cigars and called their humidor guy immediately!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Steve
What in heaven's name did you do after opening the tin and seeing the beetles? Did you panic?

Did any of them get away? - Allan
I closed the lid faster than you can spit is what I did, Allen!
Pipestud

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Unfortunately I've had my run ins with the little f'ers in the past. Never in pipe tobacco though.
They love humidors because the cigar leaf is kept at a higher humidity and the is some frequent fresh air exchange with the opening and closing of the humidor. Plus humidors are generally not air tight. They did cost me a good chunk of money worth of good Cuban cigars on one occasion.
Although they are not common in pipe tobacco, I don't doubt that it is possible to happen. Just keep your stuff in as cool a place as possible, jarred up air tight and shouldn't be much to worry about.

sjb3

Might Stick Around
Oct 23, 2013
What??? There are beetles that eat tobacco??? THEY MUST DIE!!!

grrrrr609

Lurker
Dec 27, 2013
My concerns werent from them spreading to my other jars. I store all my opened tins and my bulk in appropriately sized mason jars. Where i was thinking about this was the idea that I want to age several tins and some 8 oz packs of Esoterica. I just got a couple of large spanish cedar boxes. Those im gonna turn into footlockers sort of thing. One for some of of cigars and the other for Pipe baccy, tins and esoterica pounches. SO i got to thinking about them and the thoughts of the tobacco beetles crept into my pea brain again, and i started fretting over should i open and smoke my Penzanze, Stonehaven, and Pur Semois or age them. I would hate myslef if in 10 years I open them to dust instead of baccy.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Cigar guys put cigars in the freezer to kill bugs, then take out, move to fridge to warm up, then out. A couple days does it I believe. You could do that if you are especially worried about a few tins or bags.
If you keep em cool, below 70 degrees, you have absolutely no reason to worry.

Dec 24, 2012
I closed the lid faster than you can spit is what I did, Allen!
How did those little buggers smoke? I mean I assume you didn't waste the tobacco, so am wondering if you noticed them in the bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.