PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This could be the big boys getting what they want and the little guys not. But any wiggle room is appreciated at this point. If we could see some consideration for small house blending workshops and for artisanal pipe carvers who do this for living, that would be commendable. If no one ever smoked a pipe again, there is the probability that it would have no net effect on public health or a negative effect.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I wonder how mush $ PM spent before winning that small victory?
I imagine it wasn't cheap, but for them it has to be a big victory. I've noticed how many new boxes of just Marlboro's there seem to be and if they would have had to pull the post Tobacco Control Act boxes off the shelves and submit each of them individually for approval? Man... that would have sucked for them. I'm guessing they're pleased with being able to make a florescent yellow box of Marlboro's if they so please without having to submit it to the FDA for approval. A win for tobacco over the FDA is a pretty big deal and certainly serves as a little bit of hope for the pipe tobacco industry.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
"They even added the snuss stuff."
Well not exactly. About five years ago they came out with what they called Camel Snus which compared to the real Swedish snus deal is complete crap. It was a lame effort to penetrate the Swedish snus market that, whatever its financial success, was a critical disaster. Even worse, much worse, was Marlboro snus. They were not going to really put their heart into a far safer tobacco product that threatened cigarette sales and that pattern was repeated when the majors attempted to cash in on the electronic cigarette market.

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
I think this was an important win that will save many pipe tobaccos and cigars. Blends like C&D Autumn Evening that were available pre-2007 but have changed their labels will still be considered grandfathered products.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
It's not a win at all. I'm sure part of the- behind the door- deals between big tobacco and the FDA was that if big tobacco didn't interfere with the new vape/pipe tobacco regs they would be allowed some minor concessions such as changing their cigarette packaging.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I wouldn't get too carried away with how much of a win or not this is. What it is, is an opening for leverage for lawyers to argue some things to help out the pipe tobacco industry a bit. Where any of this goes is anybody's guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.