PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
okay, i am assuming that aroumatic pipe tobacco has flavor additives like cherry, apple, rum, ect.
the tobacco i currently smoke is plain old tobacco with no flavorings.
will the aromatics stick around after and taint the bowl? will smokes after have the ghost of cherries jubilee after?

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
No smart guys around so I'll answer.
Yes...some times. It's called ghosting.
Not just flavored tobaccos either. Latakia is pretty potent and tends to be a bully too.
Really I think it's a matter of degrees. some aros don't seem to ghost a [pipe much at all when smoked just a few times. others will ghost after the first bowl. I smoke Ennerdale flake some times and have a pipe I dedicated to it because it ghosted so heavily after the first bowl.
A corn cob is a good way to smaple an aro and get an idea for it's proclivity to ghost. If you end up with watermelon swirl surprise tasting cob it's not the end of the world.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
My experience has been a ton of cherry blends ghost my bowls. The cob test is always the best way to go about it. I have a few cobs I use since they are cheap. 1 for aro's such as cherry, 1 for the rest of the aro's, 1 for English style blends, and 1 I just smoke whatever the hell I feel like at the time lol. If I got a tobacco that seems to ghost I usually get another cob and throw the other one out if I didn't like the flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.