PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have never tried to speed up the aging of my tobacco. I know that Bradley aka Old Cajun swears by his way of baking tins in oven. I believe he sets the heat at around 165 and slow bakes it for a while. I have never tried his method and don't intend to as I believe nothing will work as well as mother nature. I have been aging tobacco for around 19 years and have always liked the taste of my aged tobacco so I see nothing that could be better than the old way of doing it.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
My "Magic Tobacco Aging Accelerator" turned out to be when I accidentally left a Mason jar of tobacco on my back patio. In 110-degree Tucson summer heat. The difference it made was actually amazing, but it didn't do any favors for the jar lid.

Phhht, you suckers and your gimmicks. You've all got it wrong. It's not about the age or cooking or any of that empirical science stuff, nor that silly mythological waiting on arbitrary magic bugs, phhht. Jeez Loueeze, ha ha, silly guys, It's all about your chi and getting waiting till your lucky astrological mood ring turns blue before you smoke. It's as easy as that.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Nothing accelerates aging in tobacco. The aging process involves arobic and anaerobic fermentation. Only time will accomplish this.

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
Nothing accelerates aging in tobacco. The aging process involves arobic and anaerobic fermentation. Only time will accomplish this.
What he said. Pretty much. Mostly...
Fermentation is only part of the picture. There's a complex cascade of organic chemical reactions taking place in a tin utilizing the byproducts of fermentation, and the naturally occurring chemistry of the leaf itself. Temperature will influence the relative rates of these reactions, as well as the domestic tranquility of the bugs involved in the fermentation, so whilst aging cannot be accelerated in any true sense, different techniques and storage conditions can certainly influence the process to yield a different result - not always for the better.
Some may like what some of the methods employed by others do to their tobaccos, others may not, but there really is no substitute for time. And, that wine rack thing? Pure codswallop...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You have now heard it from the horses mouth, there is no reason to continue this thread unless of course you decide to take on the Dark Lord himself. I would like to see someone tell Greg he doesn't know shit about tobacco. Do we have a taker, belly up to the bar please. It could make for some very high quality entertainment.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I think perhaps that there are more than one born every minute these days.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Not taking on LL in any sense, as I know nothing—I know NOTHING! (/Schultz)— about the fermentation processes in tobacco. I only observe that temperature, moisture and the right mix of organic materials greatly affects the speed of aerobic decomposition of materials into compost. FWIW.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I believe that the pyramids work similar to the magentic wine agers but channel the earth's magnetic field through the pyramid, so realigning and aging may also take place."
You're off your trolley chum.
Nothing but time and time alone can age tobacco, wine or anything else. To think otherwise is pure fantasy.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I disbelieve the magnetic aging of wine or tobacco. With tobacco, there are several known processes that are regularly used to meld the flavors of various kinds of tobacco leaf into one flavor, or often more complex flavors. Pressure and heat in variation, with the addition of flavorings, casings, etc. Then often some actual aging is used, sometimes with the tobacco under pressure, sometimes tons. So I don't think re-inventing the wheel is much use. If magnetism were a miracle for tobacco, people who work around generators or other devices that generate strong magnetic fields such as scientific imaging instruments would have transformed packs of cigarettes or pouches of tobacco into amazing new flavors. Never heard they did. I think the tobacco manufacturers would have jumped on that one.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Right. Magnets, pyramids and all of that horsecrap won't due anything for your tobacco. Bacteria attack it and part of their process changes the atmosphere in the container. Most of that bacteria were already present in the plants when packaged, some come from the air. Along with that comes natural chemical changes over time, part of which is a process called decarboxylation. As to Duane's leaving a tin on a hot dash for a few days, that heat probably accelerates bacterial activity briefly, but high heat will also probably shorten the life of a blend too if not smoked fairly soon afterwards. No shortcuts to aging, just different outcomes to how you do it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
There are also a great many that bake their tins. Bradley is our resident gourmet in those matters.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Maybe the baking of the tin has a similar effect to enhancing flavor similar to Cosmic's 15 second microwave. Different approaches maybe giving similar results.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Baking a tin of tobacco in an oven or even on a car dashboard will not age it, I repeat, only time will age tobacco. Perhaps that is why it is called ageing?
Baking the tin may well enhance the flavour of the contents but that is all and that is a far cry from ageing it.
Regards,
Jay.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I'm convinced of some things:
1). Aging is a process of decomposition whose effects are mostly desirable in some tobaccos, so in those cases, we call it maturing.
2). Various forms of alteration through microwave, heating/baking in the tin (forming pressure) or just prior to smoking replicate some of the processes used to mature some leaves (stoving, fire-cured, etc.), so appear to continue or accelerate the process somewhat.
3). These effects may have some overlap to natural aging, but will have other different effects as well, and baking an open tin will undoubtedly dry the tobacco out and lose some of the essential oils (natural or added) through evaporation.
I might try some of this on a small scale, but I doubt I will start baking whole tins or larger. Seems to me the safest bet is to microwave a bowl just prior to smoking. If it works, fine, if not, not much lost. ITMT, all of my stash will continue to age properly, naturally.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Maybe the baking of the tin has a similar effect to enhancing flavor similar to Cosmic's 15 second microwave. Different approaches maybe giving similar results.
tmb, it isn't similar at all. Baking a tin seems to initiate the Maillard reaction or caramelization, which substantially changes the flavour (although this is not the same as aging).
Ever use your microwave to toast bread?
Seems to me the safest bet is to microwave a bowl just prior to smoking.
By all means, play it safe if you want. But don't discount the positive experiences of others without trying it first.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Well, we are talking about TWO distinct processes here, Yaddy, both pyrolysis and the Maillard effect. The one you mention involves the reactions of amino acids with sugars to form complex flavor compounds. When one effects a charring light, you are caramelizing some of the tobacco right there which is probably why it too affects flavor.
Since it has been mentioned that baking a tin on a dashboard effects the process, and much bakery occurs in well under an hour, I am not sure I'd want to bake the stuff for hours on end. I might try baking some at a higher heat for a shorter period of time, in a sealed container able to withstand the pressure (gas is given off) and where as much air as possible has been removed first. Maybe 325° for 20-30 minutes?
But I would do it with controlled samples that I could smoke in the near future. Whatever the positive effects, let's not kid ourselves that we are altering the tobacco in a way that very likely will make the tobacco more changeable. Just as uncooked food can remain for a long time, once you cook something, it must be consumed soon after, likewise, once these flavor compounds are forced out of the tobacco, the process goes on, and they change into others and yet others over time, even if you do not do anything else.
I would not do this to any large quantity of tobacco until I knew for sure the long term outcome. If anyone has done this to any great length, they should list the brands, the conditions, the heat and duration, and the results! I'd be interested to study that list. And finally, I wonder why no blenders have offered any tobaccos that are "pre-cooked?"
Finally, I would think Virginia blends might do better at this while perhaps most aromatics and Latakia / Balkan blends perhaps not as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.