PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishjedi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
So, as I continue news ways to smoke, I realize that I prefer to cube cut and gravity fill "flake" style tobacco rather than the fold and stuff method. I feel it burns better and smokes a little cleaner. Anyone else think so or have another to prepare "flake". Thoughts.
Mike

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I will frequently fold and crush, or scuff a flake tobacco; mostly with coin cuts. You might call it a partial rub.
Per Jensen of Mac Baren claims that folding is proper because it will smoke cooler, bite less, and be more flavorful.

I tend to agree with Russ Ouellette's observation that rubbing-out a flake makes it more flavorful, but we're getting

into a subjective area here.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'm with cortezattic on this. Especially with coins, I fold, partially rub out and stuff -- maybe just because I like the idea of doing it that way since they went through the trouble to make coins in the first place.

Jul 12, 2011
IMHO-and for me it depends on the blends and the pipes I'm smoking those blends in...some work best cube-cut some work best fold/stuff within certain pipes...but what the @#%^&*() do I know :twisted:

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I have only had some moderate success with flake. Fold and stuff is difficult to get broken up enough. I never cube cut anythin. Rub out has worked best for me. I am going to try a fold and twist or roll to see if it works better for me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I used to fold and stuff or break apart the flakes into big chunks with my fingers. Since I began cube cutting I have found I get a very consistent burn and a cool smoke with great flavors. The fold and stuff was not as consistent for me so I no longer do it. I only rubbed out a flake fully once and did not care for how it smoked, to my mind rubbing out flakes defeats the purpose of smoking them. In terms of the size of the cubes I cut, I cut them fairly large with all my blends except FVF, that one I cube smaller.

lordwolf

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2013
United States
I love to cube cut my flakes. I typically smoke really dark and wet blends so having it cubed really helps me with lighting it.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Cube cut all the way! I cut up a bunch of flakes and let them harden overnight on a plate. Then into an empty tin for a few days were the small amount of moisture can even out. I then have ready to smoke small and hard pieces of flake the smolder like charcoal briquettes. Keep the ribbon and call me a flake. :puffy:

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
I like to partially rub coins out but almost always cube-cut the flakes. I agree with Harris - it provides a consistent and even-burning flavorful smoke.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
There must be a reason why escudo and DNR come in disc form. I find them difficult to cube cut because of the shape
Maybe they are not meant for cube cutting? Why are they in circles?

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
@allan - Well, there was this marketing guy with a minor in psychology... :P

Status
Not open for further replies.