PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
I love smoking my briars and meers, but I have read often that a simple clay pipe gives the purest taste of the tobacco with no ghosting or interference. So..... I bought a couple of simple clay pipes and by George, it does deliver a very pure smoke with no influencing that I can detect.
However, I don't like the small, hard, round mouthpiece of the clay pipe.

Does anyone know if there is a clay pipe being made that has a more traditional mouthpiece/stem? I could probably rig something up that would work, but if it is already out there, I'd like to know.

IMG_3292.jpg

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
The trouble with clay pipes with plastic or vulcanite stems, I would think, is that you can’t put them in hot coals to clean them. For me the clean taste of clay, as well as the nice dry smoke they give, depends on the clay being clean. As soon as the clay is saturated with tar/oils—it doesn’t take long—it loses those qualities—and needs to be placed in hot coals to regain them.

What I do is take a regular clay pipe and shape the stem with a sharpening stone to my liking. Then I coat the stem with with wax or at least spit to prevent it from sticking to my lips. It’s still not the most comfortable thing to smoke but is excellent for assessing a tobacco

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Research Peterson Clays.
What good will that do? They stopped selling them 40 odd years ago!

My old man used to buy them from a tobacconist in Llandrindod Wells, 6 at a time! This was in the 60's & they cost literally next to nothing! A clay today with a nickel ferrule and vulcanite stem, would set you back considerably more, if you can find one!

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Clay pipes can impart a “clay-ey” taste to the smoke when they are new.
Porcelain pipes are neutral.
It’s easy to get the walls back to bare porcelain by wiping out with wet paper towels after a smoke
Disadvantage: their double wall construction makes them considerably heavier than the standard clays

IMG_1239.jpeg

Royal Copenhagen estates are available from The Danish Pipe Shop

Fuelman

Lurker
Apr 20, 2024
Indiana
I agree with you
I love smoking my briars and meers, but I have read often that a simple clay pipe gives the purest taste of the tobacco with no ghosting or interference. So..... I bought a couple of simple clay pipes and by George, it does deliver a very pure smoke with no influencing that I can detect.
However, I don't like the small, hard, round mouthpiece of the clay pipe.

Does anyone know if there is a clay pipe being made that has a more traditional mouthpiece/stem? I could probably rig something up that would work, but if it is already out there, I'd like to know.

View attachment 305400
I agree with you. I think the long stem gives the smoke time to cool down a bit before it enters your mouth.I don’t like the gritty feel of the stem though. The flavor of the tobacco is more pronounced I think.

Reactions: Choatecav

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Clarin has bigger stems/mouthpieces…

Also Old German has clays with regular vulcanite stems on them.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Clarin has bigger stems/mouthpieces…

Also Old German has clays with regular vulcanite stems on them.

@PipeIT I'd like to try some of the clays but last time I ordered from Smokingpipes I got stung for customs:-(
I think the Williamsburg clay would suit Redcoats & Revolutionaries. I'll probably stick to used / vintage pipes or buy one when I go to Buxton again. Can't have too many clays:)

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I agree with you

I agree with you. I think the long stem gives the smoke time to cool down a bit before it enters your mouth.I don’t like the gritty feel of the stem though. The flavor of the tobacco is more pronounced I think.
@Fuelman I've noticed a cooler smoke with a long stem clay pipe; I think a long stem is much better for lighting with an ember from the blacksmith's forge:)

Attachments

• Cromford pipelighter.JPG
    Cromford pipelighter.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 14

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I want to like smoking clay pipes but just don't. I agree that the flavor is neutral but the fragility and the heat they generate, not to mention the feeling of a clay bit against my teeth just doesn't work for me. I'll be the first to admit that their cool and I love the historical aspect.

Reactions: Michigan_Bill

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I want to like smoking clay pipes but just don't. I agree that the flavor is neutral but the fragility and the heat they generate, not to mention the feeling of a clay bit against my teeth just doesn't work for me. I'll be the first to admit that their cool and I love the historical aspect.
@blackpowderpiper It was the historical aspect and seeing re-enactors smoking them that got me interested in clay pipes!