PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mealston

Lurker
Mar 18, 2013
Anyone here find themselves polishing down the bit on their stems? I picked up a general cob w/lucite off the bay last week, and as I began to break her in, I noticed the pronounced bit in my mouth. So, after a few hours of filing, sanding and polishing, I ended up with a new definition of 'rock candy'....and I've since taken a few of my bent stems and polished off their bits as well, since I mostly smoke the bents around the house where I can always lie the pipe down. I enjoy the bents in the recliner while reading or boob-tubing, so I find the bit doesn't play the all important role for me. The pipes that leave the house w/me (onthe otherhand) have their bits intact, since I'm not always in a position to just lay my pipe down.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Welcome to the forum!
I find the bits yo be a very important part of pipe construction and really enjoy a pronounced bit; o ne that is sharp and very delineated.
I can't imagine taking down a well formed one
Hey, that's one of the beauties of this hobby-to each their own

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mealston, welcome to the site. If you are talking about the button on the end of the stem, then no I never mess with it. I only buy pipes that I know will have a well designed button that is very comfortable for me to clench. Pipes that I bought before understanding how important the button is were sold off. To my tastes, a well designed button is one of the most important things I look for when deciding on whether to buy a pipe or not.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I would never do this.
For one thing, I like a pronounced button. (I've got one bent Dunhill where there's so little button, you have to constantly hold the pipe with one hand or else risk having it slip through your teeth.)
But to me it also equals "damage" to the stem overall, and it would render the original bit unusable to me. And if I'm ever buying estate pipes, I either want the original stem (if it's in good shape) or a replacement stem that is in good shape. Filing away the button would equal "not good shape" to me.
Bob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Every jaw and set of teeth is a little different. I've never had any notion of removing the button on the stem of a pipe.

I need that to hang onto the pipe when I'm lighting it and when I move around with it in my mouth, though I don't

work physically or drive with a pipe ever -- just not my habit. You seem to have the process down so you can get

your stems the way you need them. I guess a pipe repairman could do that for a pipe smoker who wasn't resourceful

in that way. This is the first time I've heard of anyone wanting the button removed or reduced.

mealston

Lurker
Mar 18, 2013
Indeed, dental geometry places the most important role when a mouthpiece is thought out and designed. I picked up a very nice volcano last mouth w/a lucite stem and all I ever felt in my mouth was a very large bit/button with sharp edges. It was anything but comfortable or serving a real purpose. I seldom dangle a pipe from my mouth, save straights. And if I do dangle a pipe, its stem must seem transparent to me in that sense. No doubt, the bit must be there for support/strength of the most fragle part of the stem, but I've run into a couple of overkills where the bit was concerned. I just wanted to test the waters here with a light survey on everyone's standard of the bit/button role in enjoying a good note. Cheers everyone. Wishing all a blessed week- Eddy

Status
Not open for further replies.