PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Jar your bulk tobaccos small: 1/2 pint (8 oz by volume) jars hold on average about 2 oz of tobacco.

BTW - overtightening the lid band can ruin the seal; finger-tight is usually sufficient. Also, stacking jars may lead to lid seal failure.
Very good idea. Most of my jarred bulks are in 250ML jars. Storing them in the 125ML jars makes more sense. This is advice I will heed from here forward. I have no choice but to stack my jars as they are kept in a plastic bins undisturbed.

Sep 18, 2015
<p>[This is by far the most educational video on cellaring)<br />
This is what comes from drinking wine!

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I live in CO at 6,500 feet, and I haven’t had trouble with drying in my cellar. I pack my jars pretty tight and make sure there’s no bits of tobacco on the rim of the jar, but otherwise I don’t give them any special treatment. I do use Ball jars. I keep them in my basement in cabinets up against the foundation wall, so the temp stays between 60-65 year round, and they are in the dark.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Hey all, I’m moving a question I asked in one of my threads in the Tobacco Discussion sub-forum here for more exposure and because the way my original thread is working out, I feel it’s worth being part of the discussion here too. Please bare with me as I’m genuinely Obsessive Compulsive, but I’m hard to offend and can roll with the punches - hehe. Okay, here goes:
With pipe tobacco storage, at the end of the day, what I’m most concerned with now is accessing a jar, and then being able to re-seal it in such a way that I don’t have to smoke all the tobacco in the jar that I’ve opened within a year.
I’m concerned because I’ve got some really large jars that I’m sure I’ll want to dip my paws in once every couple of years without beginning a precipitous count-down to complete degradation.
Genuine apologies if I’m coming on too strong. Imma lay off the forum for a bit after I (hopefully) get some help with this - I don’t want everyone going “Damn that frigging diamondback and his perpetual rambling!” lol

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Genuine apologies if I’m coming on too strong. Imma lay off the forum for a bit after I (hopefully) get some help with this - I don’t want everyone going “Damn that frigging diamondback and his perpetual rambling!” lol
No way diamondback. That's what were here for. A bunch of us newbs can learn something from this too.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
No way diamondback. That's what were here for. A bunch of us newbs can learn something from this too.
Thanks Panhandler!
Now we’ve just got to come up with a way to keep these greedy buggars from buying up all of our HH ODF!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Too late, that one's been around for 7 years. Many of us have that one cellared by many pounds. Ten of them are in my closet. Pity though, back then when it first came out, the 100 gram tin was under $12, and a pound could be had for under $40.
20190224_193951.png

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Use smaller jars. If you buy a pound, jar it into 4 jars so you have some now and later
+1 I put a pound of ribbon in four 1/2 pint jars, and a pound of flake or cube cut into two 1/2 pint jars.

Status
Not open for further replies.