PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
5 or 6 re-lights seems average.
Personally, I always grab 4 matches out of the box. Sometimes I use less; sometimes I use more; sometimes I'm smoking Virginia flake, and need a small forrest of matches. You're enjoying your pipe, so you're already ahead of the game -- and that's all that matters.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
The biggest technique you've got to master is the sip, everything else will fall in place.
This was it for me several weeks back when I started the pipe. Everything else is just falling into place. Like my friend, Mr. Deal, I normally have 3 matches taken out and sometimes I use 2 sometimes 3 and sometimes I open the box for a couple more. Just enjoy the smoke and learn the sip, practice packing and draw with an unlit pipe.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
If I sit on the porch and concentrate on enjoying the pipe and not multitasking I don't have near as much trouble with relights. I can still mind-wonder but that's part of the purpose of smoking to start with.
263y7pg.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Welcome to the fold, ichristmas.
You're catching good natured ball breaking, grief, shit and lots of great advice from some of the best people on this forum.
Cosmic suggesting the double digit approach is Cosmic being Cosmic. I always think of him with this perpetual grin on his face. Tbradsim refers to the UDT, and for the uninitiated, those cats were the first Navy SEALs. (UDT stands for Underwater Demolition Teams.) Mcitinner1 is one of those solid as a rock guys who's always happy to help out a new guy and, Hawke, a relative newcomer, is is a go-to guy for smokes and blends - several of which he creates himself.
ichristmas, you're a made man.
Welcome,
Fnord

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I wouldn't worry about it. Relights happen. It's better than torching a pipe by huffing on the thing to keep it lit (you also taste less, and experience less nicotine this way, which makes it a terrible thing in my book).

lchristmas

Lurker
Jan 5, 2016
Yeah no worries, just being so new to this I really didn't know re-lights were such a common thing. I sort of expected to fire up the bowl once then go to town.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Sometimes, you get that. If the packing is perfect, which usually means loose but compact enough that all leaf bits are touching others, it can take off. But re-lights by themselves tell you very little. It also varies a lot with tobacco. I like the C&D burleys when I want to avoid relights; something like Billy Budd or Old Joe Krantz will burn easily because it is dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.