PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
A few years ago I sold many thousands of dollars in pipes, tobacco and cameras. used the money to buy a new Mercedes 550SL. It was a mistake. The car was great fun to drive, especially with the top down. But the computer which controlled almost everything was very unreliable. One month the top would not go down, a few months later the trunk did not work, etc. Disgusted. I sold the car at a big loss. Since all Mercedes cars are now run by computers I suggest you do not get one. They are crap. My Ford Explorer has a computer too, but it works. Have never had a problem with the Ford.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
It‘s my favourite hobby horse to kick around, but there are going to be poorly programmed computers in everything soon.

At least if a computerized toothbrush breaks you’re left with a toothbrush.

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
Sorry to hear and hope Mercedes’ new computers suck less. Trying to buy a car today without some sort of a computer, is probably like asking for a paper edition of pipesmagazine.com. At least some car computers today also help avoiding crashes.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
You need to do your research when you buy a Benz. I have had nothing but great luck buying lo-mile cars for CASH. Put well over 150k on my last one before giving it to my daughter. She's still driving it now. Bought another with 50k miles and it's flawless.

They make "some" crappy cars and many of them are convertibles.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
And this is the company that has won the Formula 1 Manufacturers Championship how many years in a row...

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
The computer I drive has wheels (Tesla). It has been flawless for 2 years this March.
So has my brother’s Tesla, since 2015. The car even remembered a bump on the road, the second time we drove through a small town. Clever car computer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
foggy', I've just been through it with my little Mazda 3, not with operational function, but with the computer that reads out emissions for state-required inspections. I had four inspections with the computer failing every time. This was after the original battery was replaced, when the computer was supposed to reboot. If I'm lucky, it just takes a long time, maybe 500 miles. If I'm not, I will have to spend time getting at least two inspections and then drive across town to get a waiver with the inspection paperwork every year. For the first four years, it passed like a champ. The computers are the devil. A Ford can be a good thing.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Alaskan - You can't even trust escalators these days: Escalator in Rome collapses
Looks terrifying... and oddly, has stuck in my memory.

I'm not a car guy either, but I do prefer older ones which are reliable. In my experience, 5-7 years on the market seems to settle that question. Since I got my first car as a teenager, I only pay in cash, in full. I've only bought 3 cars in quite a long time for a total that is still far less than a new one... including any repairs. 10-15 years out of a reliable make (after I buy used) has been pretty reasonable for me. It's all about basic maintenance and selecting something that has been weeded out by the masses.

My brother in law once tried to convince me to lease. "Warranty, full service, free repairs, Gee-whiz stereo, GPS, etc., etc."

So, we did the math. I either have a knack for picking excellent cars, which is doubtful, or the lease system (and most new cars) are just a way to throw out a load of money. He spent awhile after that napkin math saying "Huh... well... huh... oh... uhhh... huh." I don't remember the exact tally difference, except that it was very, very high, and not in his favour.

Seeing what most new cars are, they're not very impressive. A new Toyota, Honda, Ford, whatever, looks pretty ordinary and middle class doldrums to me (no offence, I drive an older middle class doldrum car myself), yet they have considerable price tags that probably should get some luxury, but don't.

I understand a new Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari, etc. and people being protective of that. My neighbour eyeballing me when I get too close to his Mazda? Not so much. It will be in a junk yard in ten years... or maybe, resold in Eastern Europe.

There just seems to be far more interesting things to spend a big chunk of money on. At least for me anyway.

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I'm still in love with my low mileage, 1-owner 2014 Audi A4. I've put 12K miles on it in the last year, and have done all service myself with OEM supplies.

It's my commuter vehicle. The only annoyance is the computerized media center, which "updates" and locks out the volume selector for 20 minutes once a week. First world problems...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Car without a computer = bicycle :col:
Then this is my holy grail bicycle.

pj0616-245262_1.jpg

When cars gave up on carburetors and became mostly electronic, I gave up on cars.

The Toyota Matrix I currently own has been the subject of seven recalls since I've had it. All computer and electronic control issues.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: dmcmtk and weezell

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My former car was a Subaru, a real beauty, the last Legacy station wagon they made, a slim light silver beauty. And it gave me good service. But contrary to Sube's reputation, it had two warranty jobs on the a.c., a warranty job on the engine fans (2), and a blown wheel bearing I thought at first was a blown muffler. The car was built in Indiana. The service manager was a champ and always made sure I got the work done at no cost, and sometimes chipped in with a loaner car and once with a car wash. So next time out, I didn't buy a Subaru, as much as I liked that one after the warranty work was over. The car magazines are full of these $400 K and up marvels that make me drool, but young folks drowning in student debt want to ride public transportation or buy something used and cheap. Drivers Ed has been stricken from most high schools, and many kids graduate h.s. without a driver's license, and don't especially want one. For my class, it was an urgent rite of passage.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
My brother in law once tried to convince me to lease. "Warranty, full service, free repairs, Gee-whiz stereo, GPS, etc., etc."

So, we did the math. I either have a knack for picking excellent cars, which is doubtful, or the lease system (and most new cars) are just a way to throw out a load of money. He spent awhile after that napkin math saying "Huh... well... huh... oh... uhhh... huh." I don't remember the exact tally difference, except that it was very, very high, and not in his favour.
No much math needed really. Leases are a way to make car payments forever, so long as you have a car.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Drove a E320cdi for 10 years (and a 220cdi as a company car - worked for Mercedes software services division at the time). E220 had a couple of computer problems which had it off the road for a month in total. E320 never failed me but I moved from UK to Aus. Now have a Wrangler unlimited but will have to sell it in a couple of months when we move to Brazil.

Status
Not open for further replies.