PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Is tinned tobacco considered superior to bulk?
And what are all the members doing with their tins after they are empty? :)

Most blends are exactly the same from bulk to tins. Some have noted that some blends seem to be lesser quality in bulk form. My experience is that if you just order a few oz's of something, you may be getting a dip out of a bulk blend that had been open for a few days or weeks, and it seems drier and more stale. I would just go ahead and get a tin in that case. But, I buy five pound bags for the cellar, or 1.5 lb boxes. Then, I am canning the blend while it is still fresh.
I give my tins to my girlfriend and my daughters. They use them to store their arts and crafts stuff in. I've seen where some folks make candles or clocks out of the tins, very cool.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I personally consider tinned tobacco to be superior to bulk. . . but that's largely because I cellar all of my tobacco in the original tins; I have no interest in amassing a collection of jars for long-term storage.
Empty tins go into the recycling bin.
Bob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If bulk is properly stored, I find it equal to tinned. However, I tend to buy tinned when I want to age

tobacco, since the seal is secure and keeps me from "robbing the cookie jar" before I am ready to open

the tin. I think the storage of craft items is an ideal use of empty tins, and the art tends to be handsome,

however, lacking a crafts person on hand, I recycle. I like ceramics for ash trays because they do not have

seams and wear forever; rinse them off and they are like new. Also, lately, I especially like the taller tins

with the art on the side (GLP, Sutliff, McClelland, Lowlands, etc.) because I can array it across the top of

a pipe cabinet and enjoy the colorful art on the labels.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
One difference I've noticed in favour of bulk over tinned flakes is that the bulk flakes, especially if bought in large quantity, are often more even in thickness. This is especially true for SG FVF, BBF amd 1792 Flakes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Most of my favorites come in tins only so that is what I buy. I have found that the tinned version of Hamborger Veermaster to be superior to the bulk version. The SG bulks are the same as the tinned versions in my opinion and I do buy those in bulk. I prefer tins because they are easier to store and I like the way the tobacco ages in the tins.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I've had mixed experiences too. You just have to try them out to see if you notice a difference. Some yes, some no. Bulk is usually lighter on the wallet, so unless you're aging the tins, I'd go with bulk. Assuming you don't notice a difference. I'd recommend buying a small amount of bulk just to make sure. It'd be a terrible shame if you order a few pounds of bulk only to find it's a totally different beast from what you've enjoyed in a tin.
I reuse my tins for storing nails, screws, washers, and things like this. Or if I buy bulk of one blend, I'll sometimes use old tins to store whatever portion of the bulk I'm smoking for convenience. Otherwise they get recycled. Reduce, reuse, recycle!

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
In the case of Hearth & Home, our bulk and tins use the same exact blends, but then the changes begin. Once the tins are sealed, fermentation can start. Because the bulk is in polyethylene bags, there's some air exchange going on, so there's little chance of fermentation. Plus, the bag will be opened and closed a number of times, allowing for fresh air to get in. After a month or two in the tin, the tobacco will start to change noticeably. So, even though they may start off exactly the same, they'll begin to differ fairly soon.
Russ

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
No, aging will be effective in jars as well. What I meant, but wasn't clear about, is that a tin of one of our blends, after six months, will probably taste different than bulk that has just been kept in bags or pouches.
Russ

ravenwolfe

Lurker
Jul 12, 2012
Hey Russ while on the topic of your blends in tin vs bulk I emailed you last week about Vischer Ferry and you said its gonna be available in bulk soon any update?
I may be in a minority but I prefer most of tobacco fresh as i have noticed what i have cellered a year or so seemed to mellow quite a bit.I normally smoke aros so I prefer the real upfront taste,although I havent cellared a tin had to open as soon as it came in to check it out.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
You'd have to understand my personality, but the fact that bulk is cheaper makes it actually taste better to me.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
I really like the tins, it' can influence my picks, kinda like at a race track, best looking horse looks best for a reason.
When cellering a tin, waste of time to wrap some tape around the seal area?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
salmonfisher:
It's your call. I'd say, Yes, it's a waste of time. Tape will help keep the lid on should something bad happen to the tin, but it's not going to protect the actual seal one bit. But then I've never encountered a tin that lost its seal to anything other than rust.
In my experience, lids don't just pop off over time. And I've had tins that have been cellared for 30+ years without any issues at all.
If you're worried about a particular style of tin or a particular blend, I'd pick up a large, wide-mouth, sealable jar and put the anxiety-producing tins in there for long-term storage. That way, if one opens for some reason, then the tobacco will still be protected.
Bob

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
sometimes you don't have a choice... I love 1-Q...bulk only... get into a glass jar right away. Russ (or anbody)...one more question. I have an 8oz tin of Anniversay kake that I opened and jarred, becasue I wanted to try it right away. At the same time I bought an 8az tin of Louisiana Red that I haven't opened. Should I leave it and wait for the 6 month magic you speak of...or jar it now?

judd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2014
I like the bulk, If you get more that a few ounces you get a great price cut. If the tobacco I want doesn't come in bulk then the tins suffice. I load up on tins when I see the buy 2 get 1 free or 3 and get 1 free. I really like a number of PS tobacco and I've never seen it in tins.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
OK, let's say you buy 1 pound of bulk and 9 1.7 oz tins of Old Sweatsock at the same time (about the same amount). You smoke about a tin every month (obviously you are smoking some other blend in addition to this marvelous blend). It you open up the bulk bag to take out 1.7 oz of tobacco every other month alternating with the tins, over time the tin and the bulk will taste different by virtue of the sealed, fermented tine tobacco and the frequently opened to air bulk tobacco. Also the time that the bulk sits in a pouch or in a humidor will dry out the bulk whereas the tin will retain most of the moisture with which it was sealed. I always pretty much assumed that the fresh stuff, whether in tin or bag, is the same. IMHO...

Status
Not open for further replies.