Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Any other sufferers of tinnitus here?
Mine turned up ‘out the blue’ about 5 years ago now, a constant high pitch screeching in my left ear. Not much of an annoyance during the daytime but at night it is. Lately I’ve been listening to a Sherlock Holmes audiobook on my iPad. Despite knowing the stories back to front I’m finding it does help me relax & eventually drift off to sleep.

Any other remedies or recommendations from your good selves?
Here’s the version I’ve been listening to.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I've had it since I was 10 or 11, probably earlier. That little bit of hiss/hum that I mostly noticed at bedtime was one of those things that I just assumed everyone had until I learned otherwise. I had a lot of ear infections as a kid, so the antibiotics may have kicked it off. It has gotten worse over the years, which is occasionally alarming, but I've tried to protect my hearing to slow that down. Thus far, I've been able to habituate as I go.

Last edited:

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I've had tinnitus for thirty years that I know of. Doctor (ENT) said I would just have to learn to cope with it. And I have. My of tinnitus is like having crickets in your years. I don't notice it when I am awake and doing things. It is most noticeable when I go to bed. It doesn't prevent me from getting a good night sleep.

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
I have tinnitus in one ear. When I'm not involved with something it is noticeable. It can sometimes keep me from getting to sleep until I'm really tired. My hearing aids have a setting that sounds like ocean surf. I can control what ear it goes to and the volume I choose. That helps me when I'm napping in my recliner.

Reactions: simong and PaulRVA

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
very mild for a long long time, and occasional. I thought I was hearing the light fixtures hum, but no else could hear them... of course, it could ALSO be that.. 😕 Don't know what might have been origin. Never a big fan of loudness in headphones/earphones or concerts. Shooting without as much ear protection as a kid perhaps. Perhaps altitude ear trauma from flying when young... who can say.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Comes and goes, fortunately not all that often but, lol, having some right now I assume from having my jaw set pretty hard for awhile dealing with a little situation/somebody at work right before coming home for lunch. It will disappear at some point this afternoon.

In news of something worse? I was wondering about the origin of the song EE-OH-11 (no idea if that’s the proper title) sung by Sammy Davis, Jr. in the original Ocean’s Eleven having seen that part of the movie a few weeks ago (and also thinking the song was kind of dumb). Sure enough I wake up at 4 am this morning with that phrase in the song going on and on and …. couldn’t get back to sleep or get it to stop. Worse than my occasional tinnitus by far.

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
Seattle, WA
My tinnitus sounds like a constant brake squeal thanks to dozens of concerts without ear protection. I live with a Brown Noise machine at night and that has helped me tremendously. I can't sleep without it and I rely on them so much that I have several; one for travel, one for camping, etc. It took me a while to find the right type of noise and I found that White Noise actually exacerbates my tinnitus. Brown, on the other hand works wonders for me.

Also, salt intake exacerbates my tinnitus, so I avoid salty meals, which is good for blood pressure and general health anyways.

Once you have tinnitus, it is also key to protect your ears from normal everyday exposures like driving on the freeway, hair dryers, etc.. I have ear protection available to me everywhere. In the car, in all my coats, keychain, pockets. Depending on your vehicle (I have a truck), simple freeway noise can really do me in, so I wear light ear plugs when I drive. I really like EarPeace earplugs because you can adjust the decibel reduction by changing the little inserts out and people can't tell I'm wearing them. They are also relatively inexpensive.

Tinnitus is some real shit, man. Do everything you can to prevent further damage.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I use an air purifier but if I think about it too much it will bother me. My left ear is really bad and my doctor said I will probably go deaf in that ear someday. I’ve just come to accept that this is my fault for never wearing earplugs when I went to concerts when I was young.