PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Found this on eBay the other day and am always happy to find one of these burners for less than fifty bucks. I started out smoking inexpensive pipes but soon learned that some of the best values on the secondary market are seconds made by leading houses. They aren't always the prettiest pigs in the pen but you can count on a quality smoke.
The Tinderbox Unique was made for The Tinderbox B&M chain by Charatan and this is my forth TB Unique. They follow the traditional British shape and style of smokers - probably a bit boring compared to today's pipes - but they do smoke very well.
This pipe had recently been reamed but the overall condition was pretty nasty. Somebody else's DNA was all over the badly oxidized stem and the rim was caked.

But, a little Murphy's soap, some righteous pad work, my wife's brandy in the airway, a smear of Halcyon II, plus a spin on the buffing wheel and this beast has turned into a Nightcap devouring monster.

It turned out well and was a lovely get for 25 bucks.
Fnord

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Great score! $25 :lol:
Fnord, you have it looking great. Pokers have captured my interest of late. Years past I always thought of them as clunky, now I find them very interesting. I like the cut on the bole of your pipe.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Very stylish. Pretty briar, too.
Reminds me of the Charatan given to Harold Wilson in this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Ssw_WQ-y4

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a little tug at the heart strings. I still have my first pipe, a Tinder Box St. Ives, probably by Chacom, a smooth bent pot with a vertical saddle stem, a great sitter. It's still a unique and pretty pipe and smokes just fine. It was probably made about 1976. That's a great save on your pipe, ready now for another fifty years.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That's a great looking pipe and you cleaned her up real nice. Enjoy. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.