PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Yes for buyers in Asia you are almost always shipping to a US address, usually in California. These tend to be freight forwarders. A freight forwarder fills a container with US goods and ships it on to China, Hong Kong or wherever. When I have sold Dunhill pipes on Ebay sometimes the address for the buyer was one of these forwarding companies. You can usually tell because if you Google map the address it is often in an industrial or commercial zone, not residential.
Yeah I had the same experience when I sold on there.

The site is pretty intuitive but not perfectly so. If you’re happy with the cut they take then I think they’ve got a pretty good system.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You should be so lucky. I'm assuming you're a US taxpayer. Eventually PayPal is supposed to be issuing 1099-ks which trigger income tax at the State and Federal levels, not a mere sales tax (which is not only much smaller but not an IRS problem; sales tax is up to the rapacity of the individual States). I say eventually because while Congressional legislation set a $600 annual aggregate income to trigger issuance of a 1099-k by an intermediary involved in a transaction, the fantastic burden of tracking that much data has delayed implementation.

Remember, we're not talking about a tax form issued for all transactions over $600, it will be a tax form issued for everyone who generates over $600 in aggregate transactions over the course of the year. So if you sell twelve things for $50/each you'll get a tax form (and of course a copy is sent to the Service). Think how many millions of people who use PayPal, Venmo, eBay etc will be affected.

This cluster**** was supposed to be effective last year. A few months before year's end the IRS said it wouldn't kick in at all for 2023; and for 2024 it is supposed to phase in with a $5000 minimum. Presumably they intend for that to be reduced to $600 in 2025. Well, we'll see. Here's a typical summary of what's going on: The New $600 Reporting Rule Has Been Delayed - https://www.marcumllp.com/insights/the-new-600-reporting-rule-has-been-delayed#:~:text=The%20IRS%20will%20start%20with,the%20IRS%20makes%20additional%20changes.

Of course you owe tax on the net from any sale through any medium regardless of whether you're issued a tax form or not and that's what the government is attempting to track. But trying to gather those taxes by requiring the issuance zillions (I think that's the technical term) of 1099-k's is proving to be a nightmare. It wouldn't surprise me if this gets delayed at least once more. The IRS is understaffed as it is (yes, I know: boo hoo) and this is a huge incremental burden.
I guess if you want to dump some stuff, better get on with it.

Reactions: jguss

Big John Shea

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2019
I've had plenty of good experiences buying on Tinbids. Selling is another matter...

Have sold on Tinbids many times and it is highly frustrating. Primarily due to the following:

1) You MUST use their shipping labels or they get upset with you because their labels are prepaid and automatically tracked. So you need a printer. Not a big deal if you already have one.
2) You will not get your money until numerous days AFTER the item has been tracked as received by the buyer.
3) Some buyers have shipping addresses that are outside the USA. If you're not getting paid until the item arrives weeks later in another country, then you start feeling like you'll never get paid.
4) If your item gets lost in the mail while using THEIR designated shipping label, well sorry, sucks to be you.

Reactions: recoilrob and coys

Big John Shea

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2019
Well, I had two bidders fight the price of my auction up to a price I would consider a very good one, and then the winner didn't pay. I gave him a week and had to just relist it. I guess we'll see what happens from here. Frustrating.
Would be reluctant to say that is a problem specific to Tinbids, but yeah, that blows dude.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
I find website counter intuitive. I don’t see the ability to do a keyword search. And it doesn’t seem that sellers are rated. I can’t even figure out who the sellers are. On several entries I see what looks like Chinese characters. Does that mean seller is in Asia ??

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well, I had two bidders fight the price of my auction up to a price I would consider a very good one, and then the winner didn't pay. I gave him a week and had to just relist it. I guess we'll see what happens from here. Frustrating.
Unfortunately, it happens. There are a number of fake bidders on eBay who run up prices to reveal people's maximum bids and then retract their own bids. Despite eBay's BS policy about retractions I've encountered bidders with well over 100 retractions in a 12 month period. Nobody legit does that.

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
I posted elsewhere about questions I had for Tinbid relating to selling items, who insures it, what happens if it goes lost. I did not get satisfactory answers, they were very evasive and then changed their position.

Question about shipping insurance using Tinbids. :: Pipe Tobacco Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/question-about-shipping-insurance-using-tinbids.103861/#post-36999785

If the owner is so savvy he needs to have the specifics laid out in writing, on his website, he doesn't.

I suspect the reason you must ship through them is they make money on the shipping. They charge the buyer the full price and the USPS gives them a discount.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I read through most of their boilerplate and my take is this;

Tinbids is a business engaged in offering an on line site where people can buy and sell tobaccos. They supply services to facilitate an exchange of goods for money, for which they receive listing fees and take a percentage of the buy price. They require payment for goods within 3 days of the conclusion of a sale. Then they notify the consignor to mail out the package with costs and terms, such as insurance, set by the consignor. The use of their labels is for their tracking convenience. They also indemnify themselves from any and all responsibility if anything goes pear shaped.

They're not a charity, a cult, your best friend, or your mama. Their only interest is in making money by offering an exchange.

Big surprise.

There's also a fair amount of boilerplate in there to intimidate the average monkey, a lot of it unenforceable, including aspects of the indemnification language. One of the fun aspects of over four decades working in the Biz is that you get familiar with a LOT of contract scams and bullshit. I usually just X out the lines in a contract that I won't accept, add in something that was agreed to but mysteriously didn't it into the agreement, and then sign it. If the other party had an issue with this then I guess we're not going to rumba. But that's just me. Other people make their own calculus. Tinbids is a "take it or leave it" proposition.

Bottom line, they get their money right away and there's no clear standard for when you will get yours, nor do they offer any compensation for lost mailings. They will abide by all applicable statues, so they probably have to return some of the money to the buyer in the event of a disappearance.

They also promise to kick you off the platform if you take action against them. What a surprise again.

As for the seller, compensation for lost goods will depend on what is required by law.

If that's not good enough. Don't do it.

Sethology12

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2023
Richmond, Va
I've used it quite a bit, bought and sold. Never an issue. Shameless self plug, I'll probably be listing a sum total of half my cellar on there soon 😆 so keep an eye out

BriarsAndBottles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
I’ve won many things on there. Sometimes I take a few days to pay, but I’ve never not done so.

I recommend checking things as soon as received as their return policy only gives you a few days to do so. Checked a tin of Sullivans I paid $325 for a few months later only to find it completely rusted out inside with no recourse.

I’ve bought consignment from 4noggins, boswells, Tinbids, larryson, briarfellowship, dude with a pipeshop in brazil, but no one beats Steve (@pipestud) and his stellar attitude and customer service.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Yup
I’ve won many things on there. Sometimes I take a few days to pay, but I’ve never not done so.

I recommend checking things as soon as received as their return policy only gives you a few days to do so. Checked a tin of Sullivans I paid $325 for a few months later only to find it completely rusted out inside with no recourse.

I’ve bought consignment from 4noggins, boswells, Tinbids, larryson, briarfellowship, dude with a pipeshop in brazil, but no one beats Steve (@pipestud) and his stellar attitude and customer service.
Yup love me some pipestud. If I wasn't so broke right now I would have won a 100g tin this morning of the 1 time ever produced Mcclelland vintage 5100 red cake in the tin. Man I wish i could have scooped 1 up. But as with everything else in life it shall rear its pretty little tin head back again someday and I will get it then. That is why I will never persua anybody away from a buisness like tinbids/pipestud. They provide a way to procure tins in which we would never find naturally in the wild. If you don't trust the buisness in which it needs US to keep them in buisness then I don't know what to do other then stick to what we got on shelves in B&Ms and online.

BriarsAndBottles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
Yup
Yup love me some pipestud. If I wasn't so broke right now I would have won a 100g tin this morning of the 1 time ever produced Mcclelland vintage 5100 red cake in the tin. Man I wish i could have scooped 1 up. But as with everything else in life it shall rear its pretty little tin head back again someday and I will get it then. That is why I will never persua anybody away from a buisness like tinbids/pipestud. They provide a way to procure tins in which we would never find naturally in the wild. If you don't trust the buisness in which it needs US to keep them in buisness then I don't know what to do other then stick to what we got on shelves in B&Ms and online.
For some reason that one doesn’t interest me. I’m more excited about my tins of millenium, new millennium, and ‘83 red. I feel like there’s someone that’s had 5100 it in a mason jar for a few decades that wouldnt charge me $275 lol

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
For some reason that one doesn’t interest me. I’m more excited about my tins of millenium, new millennium, and ‘83 red. I feel like there’s someone that’s had 5100 it in a mason jar for a few decades that wouldnt charge me $275 lol
😆 Very true, very true. The only issue is the old curmudgeons that do have pounds of the stuff are all gonna get buried with it like an Egyptian Pharoah. All I know is I can't wait for 30-40 years to go by and I give generously to people blends that no longer will exist.

• Haha
Reactions: BriarsAndBottles

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
It looks like a great site. Unfortunately, I can‘t see myself buying aged or out of production tobacco when I live in Canada. Getting fresh tobacco here is hard enough. It costs me about $50CAD for a pouch of Five Brothers by the time shipping, duties and taxes are paid.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have used tinbids on several occasions. When they first started out I felt they were the outlet for stuff that Pipestud wouldn't touch. I had 2 supposedly sealed tins I won turn out to have been opened and dried out but I gave them to a chum on here who rehydrated the stuff and was as pleased as punch. Recently I think they have tightened up things as all of my purchases have been spot on and I have been delighted with the service. You pays your money and takes your chances!