PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
I have used it several times.
Yesterday I won an auction on some old Drew Estate tins I have been looking for to complete the collection.
Haven't sold anything because they do not have an option for CONUS only, or at least that is if I read their rules correctly and I am not comfortable shipping over seas for bureaucratic reasons.
That said, all my transactions completed without a hitch.
YMMV
HTH
M

Reactions: fireground_piper

Sethology12

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2023
Richmond, Va
I have used tinbids on several occasions. When they first started out I felt they were the outlet for stuff that Pipestud wouldn't touch. I had 2 supposedly sealed tins I won turn out to have been opened and dried out but I gave them to a chum on here who rehydrated the stuff and was as pleased as punch. Recently I think they have tightened up things as all of my purchases have been spot on and I have been delighted with the service. You pays your money and takes your chances!
To be fair this is the case with ebay as well. The onus of risk is taken on by the user. At times you get amazing products for steals and sometimes you get gipped. Of course there is recourse for that sort of thing on ebay. But there are legitimate cases with pipe tobacco where despite being perfectly stored and unopened the tobacco will just be sand upon cracking the tin. It's just the risk anyone takes with purchasing older tobacco

justscience

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2013
Upper Midwestern USA
I've sold on it for prices that made me blush. The administrative fees on Tinbids are far less than our Texan friend and much higher prices are obtained on certain brands. Granted, he does package and mail, but then, so do you when you send to him.
I kind of miss eBay, but their fees plus paypal fees were comparable to Tinbids'. I don't miss the messaging from whiners wanting you to sell to them, ending the auction early or complaining about you competing against them.

I keep seeing references to Tinbids "gouging". That doesn't apply to auctions because the buyers offer their price. Gouging is rightfully applied to businesses that place exaggerated fixed prices.