PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

westcoastrich

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2011
I have a meeraschaum pipe with the plastic screw in insert into both the stem and the shank making the pipe a push - pull stem attachment. The push - pull seems too loose and the pipe bowl rotates easily, does anyone know how to tighten up that connection ?

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I would do it the same way as tightening up a stem on a briar.

I use an icepick, i think you need something similar that tapers rapidly from a point. Not sure what you can come up with, but the idea is to heat the end of the plastic just enough to soften it some, then push the icepick into the end of the stem to gently flare it out a bit. YMMV

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Well there's a fellow on youtube who would almost certainly know the answer to this question. He goes by the handle JJJUSCFAN8 and he knows pretty much everything there is to know about meerschaum. If I remember correctly he's a 48 year smoker and lover of meerschaum pipes and that's quite a bit of experience.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Marm, I've done it to a number of briars with great results. Doesn't take much to tighten the stem right up. The only thing to keep in mind with this pipe is how much softer the plastic connecters are.

I would just lightly pass a bic lighter flame over it maybe 5-6 times, barely letting the flame lick the plastic for a second at a time and turning the plastic so it heated evenly. Then try to widen it, if it wasn't quite soft enough, pass the flame over 4-5 more times, until it will stretch some with whatever tool you're using.

Make sure it cools completely (you can dunk it in water to instantly cool it) before you insert it into the other piece.

If it is still hot when you insert it, the other piece can deform it, making it loose all over again.

Of course, if you flare it out TOO MUCH so that it wont go in, you can heat it again, and very gently push it straight in without wiggling it so that it shrinks again.

Try to get it right the first time though, heating it over and over again can eventually mess up the plastic.

nyed001

Might Stick Around
Feb 1, 2011
Being that its a meer Id have it replaced professionally.

If it were a briar,Id look up Pimos and purchase a stem tightening kit and do it myself.I must have tightened about 10 stems over the years with the kit purchased from them.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Replacing the push/pull is the answer to this problem. They are available

at modest prices... http://www.pipemakers.org/misc_products.html

The thing to remember is to replace both the mortise & tenon at the same time.

The mortise removal is done like this...

http://bestmeerschaums.homestead.com/REPAIR.html

Status
Not open for further replies.