PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Through the nose or retro-hale is the only way I get the flavor without full on inhale.It may be from smoking cigs for years or my allergies that have toned down my taste-buds or whatever,I'm not sure.Though like Cmkiefer said it also lets you know when you're smoking too hot because it burns your sinuses.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i save my nose for breathing so i don't inhale. sometimes if i'm a little congested and try smoking i'll forget i have the pipe clenched in my mouth and inhale through my mouth. not good.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Is this also referred to as snorking. I was a big snorker, but french inhale more now. Smoking in general is a weird human activity when you think of it. I always get a kick outa watching about a 3 year old watch a pipe smoker. Well maybe a 2 year old.

wagnon85

Might Stick Around
Apr 25, 2010
Dang looks like I might be the only one who doesn't exhale the smoke out my nose! Heheh

vdubguy18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2012
Dang looks like I might be the only one who doesn't exhale the smoke out my nose! Heheh
I don't but then again I am still new at this. So looks like I have a new method to attempt tomorrow.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I run every day, so I try to get as little as possible in my lungs. You will always get a little bit but if you do it right, you can minimize.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Here ya go, jsiddle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba5rz_eTFPA&list=PL-NfJjlGOSLtirDt_rhIVi6rRts-vFtY1&index=3&feature=plpp_video

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I try not to do it because I'm prone to nasal/sinus trouble and I find it too irritating , but it definitely does give flavour... It's probably not for everybody.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Once you get used to a good heavy cigar, your sinus will appreciate a tasty smoke. The only problem is deciding whether you want your pipe or your cigar. Oy vey, problems....

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
That's a pretty good video, gnatjulio. If you smoke to enjoy the tobacco flavors, snorking/retrohaling or whatever you want to call it is a must. It's especially key for us as we age. The older we get, typically, the less sensitive to tastes our tastebuds get and the more we rely on our sense of smell for flavor.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Yeah, I found the "Doc" when I was smoking cigars and it greatly increased my enjoyment of cigars and it totally carries over to my pipe smoking.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
UGH! I wasn't used to doing this and just did it while smoking a bowl of JF Dorisco Mixture and now my sinus are aching. :|
Also, I didn't get any great additional flavour sensation.

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Cheers,-you%27re-doing-it-wrong.jpg

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I never heard the term 'snorking' before. Now I love it. I'm a big time pipe-snorker. :puffy:

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Found this post through our Google Custom Search and it his a note so I thought I would revisit it.
Snorking redefined my pipe smoking experience. I would draw into my mouth and exhale. I had some flavor and would receive a healthy nicotine hit. This Forum and its members brought me to try exhaling through my nose and my enjoyment and appreciation went through the roof.
I draw now slowly sometimes with a small break in my lips to draw both smoke as well as air. I pull back far enough to get the smoke to the back of my mouth and throat and then exhale. I wind up with a 70-30 exhale out my nose and mouth respectively.
It may be a bold statement but I believe pipe smoking to be very much about what works well for you as much as it is about standard practices. Sadly I do not get to smoke with other pipe smokers so I don't know if many others smoke the way I do. Anyone care to share?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Pipebaum,
You get a lot more of the flavors this way. English and Oriental blends bring a lot more to your mouth than do Virginias, in my experience. Exhaling out the schnoz allows me to get a lot more of the flavor notes in all of the blends, particularly since I only smoke outdoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.