PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
A good story, I hope, one worth reading. Blackbeard82 should be writing this, but I think he's uncomfortable with long entries and shy. He joined us perhaps 2 months ago. He is soldier who was wounded in the war, with damaged nerves to his arms from an explosion, and now he's back with us in his home in Florida with his bride, the unreasonably beautiful wife, Susan. In one of his early postings, he mentioned that he didn't own a new pipe as yet, and I thought, This situation can't go on. After all, he's a soldier who sacrificed much in the service of his country, and I never served my country in a similar way (I turned of age during the Nixon era; no one was anxious to join under a corrupt president at that time), and should donate something to better the situation of one of our boys, and he's one of us, after all. So I asked Blackbeard, was there a pipe he was interested in? He gave me a link, and I wrote: "It's yours." Two weeks later he received a Peterson Aran, a beautiful pipe with a long slender tip and band with the famous Peterson logo. He was very gracious in his thanks and promised to do something for me: I explained this was my contribution and thanks for everything he did, and that he shouldn't knock himself out doing anything for me. It was my joy and privilege to give him something. He said he might not be able to stop his Australian born wife, Susan, who loved pipes. And he was right; I couldn't stop her. About two weeks later this arrived at my doorstep:

img_0587-600x450.jpg

img_0586-600x450.jpg

I was stunned. No one ever made me anything before. And it was perfect; Blackbeard and Susan knew about our cold Michigan winters, the chenille throw with "Sparrowhawk" embroidered on the corner was a beautiful rich red, fluffy, warm and light, perfect to wrap around during the coming frigid months. The throw was included with a long letter from Susan expressing gratitude and telling about their life now in sunny Florida.

So Blackbeard has a good, solid new pipe, and I have a chenille throw to use and think about my two friends hundreds of miles away, friends forever. It is in times like these that restore my faith in the goodness of human beings when so many terrible things are happening. God bless them.

henryp

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
Chicago
Well done Sparrowhawk! A good deed is it's own reward, but you made a friend and that's the best part. Nice blanket too!

Jan 8, 2013
Great story Sparrowhawk, and well done Sir. That throw is beautiful and looks like it will indeed be a pleasure to wrap up in during the winter while enjoying a hot cup of coffee and a smoke out of your new Nording. Just think... every time he smokes that pipe he'll think of your gift, and every time you toss that throw over your shoulders on a cold night you'll think of them. Well done, Sparrowhawk. Well done! :D

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Man I love this place, so many stories of people helping each other for the sake of our brotherhood. Good on both of you.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
Karma does exist and you got to experience it first hand as a result of your generosity and compassion. One of my wife's favorite movies is "Pay it Forward". The concept is perfect. The world could use more gentlemen like you sparrow. Well done sir!

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Touching story. You both are very giving people, and wish you all the best.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Props to both parties! I haven't been around as long as others, but I'm still surprised and delighted by the generosity, general comraderie and positive atmosphere I've seen on this forum. Cheers to Kevin and all members for a great site, and well done again to all involved in this particular display!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Maybe our next step to thank Blackhawk would be for a bunch of us to shower him with some tobacco. All we need is a snailer to get this done. Don't put your return address on the gift and he will feel no obligation to send a gift back.

blackbeard82

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2013
IMG_20130924_174418_zps1e3bb5cd.jpg
First off, sorry I have not been around. I have been struggling to get into this new job I have and it has been kicking my butt. It is a bit of challenge to do this job with my recent surgery but is necessary to survival at the moment. Next, Thank you again Sparrow for posting this lovely thread about our little ventures. It has been an absolute pleasure meet you and sharing these little things and building a new friendship. Thank you everyone else here for your support and kinds words for a soldier!
ps. let me post some pics of the lovely Peterson pipe sparrow bought for me!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks everyone! Several people have asked for Blackbeard's addie so they can send him tobacco. Blackbeard favors Dunhill blends and flakes, so if you want to donate, PM me, and I'll forward my--I mean his--address. Thanks again for your generosity! Sparrowhawk

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Well done Sparrowhawk, our forefather from a time where men did goodly things because it was right to do so would be proud of you. Blackbeard, soldier on as soldiers do! Met many a good lads with the US Forces while doing my time with the Canadian Forces.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Just a simple act of generosity/kindness makes me re think my anti human thoughts about the species. All three of you are wonderful people. Thanks for the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.