PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Many Jobey pipe fans here? What's your opinion on these pipes. I've restored this estate Jobey but not had the pleasure or displeasure of smoking it yet.
jobey11-600x450.jpg

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I think they are good pipes in general. I have had a few and sold all of them. I hated the Jobey link and couldn't ever get a pipe cleaner through them. Food Chain wise I think they are between Grabow and Savinelli.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Durham, see the thread at http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/thoughts-on-jobey-pipes#post-120941, particularly Lawrence's comment.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have a 1980 black rusticated rough top Jobey E27 Stromboli extra egg-shaped poker that's a decent smoker. It's not great, it's not Dr. Grabow bad. I smoke burley blends in it and it works fine. I have a 1983 Jobey Danski 2 straight grain freehand rough top sitter that's a really good pipe. I always get a cool smoke from it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My Jobey has a glossy finish and drilled rustication patterns that look like clusters of grapes, two bright metal bands,

the usual Jobey screw-in lucite stem. It's distinctive looking, especially for being moderate priced.

The stem says "made in France," but that was when they were recently back from the U.S., so that may just be

the stem. But it's a truly pleasant smoker. It breathes despite it's finish. It has a fair capacity for a medium size

pipe, somewhere between Group 3 and 4. The stem screws back in with the bit squared up properly. I bought

it from my local independent pipe shop, and I'm glad I did. I'd say overall it's a level or two above it's price.

If I'd paid half again as much, I wouldn't feel ripped off. Nice pipe. It looks like a French pipe. No one would

take it for English, Irish, Italian, Danish, or U.S. It's its own thing.

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
The old Jobey Shellmors were wonderful pipes; I had one that looked so much like an old Dunhill it could've easily passed (great black sandblast).

Status
Not open for further replies.