PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I just knocked my lattice globe meer off my bench while putting things away. Somehow I snatched it out of mid-air a foot above the concrete and disaster was averted.

Recognizing what was happening, calculating the trajectory and snagging the pipe with no conscious thought. All within less than a second. Good job, brain, you deserve a drink.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Back in the 80s I bought a large globe (ball) shaped meer with a quarter bent stem. I was attempting to color it by not touching it with my fingers and being very careful with it. Shortly after purchesing it I left it in it's open case by my chair and went on a business trip for a week.

At this time I live out in the country and there were lots of critters around. When I came home from the trip and saw the pipe I was taken aback. The end of the shank where the stem fitted was all chewed up. I suspected I knew who the culprit was so before bed that night I put a mouse trap with peanut butter on the table by the pipe. I had been in bed for about 10 minutes and heard a loud "snap". Justice had been done for my beautuful new pipe! I gave up on trying to color it but still smoke it to this day. She's no longer beautiful but at least she smokes good. puffy

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I just knocked my lattice globe meer off my bench while putting things away. Somehow I snatched it out of mid-air a foot above the concrete and disaster was averted.

Recognizing what was happening, calculating the trajectory and snagging the pipe with no conscious thought. All within less than a second. Good job, brain, you deserve a drink.
??

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas

I've done that with various items over the years. Always felt real good to know my synapses are firing well.

Reactions: renfield

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
It took me a few times to deprogram that "catch it before it hits the ground" reaction when at my workbench. I have a few permanent scars from knocking a setting or ring off my workbench after soldering it, and reflexively snagging it before it... Oooouch!!!
Now, I am perfectly willing to just let things hit the ground.
My reflexes generally want to catch, or even defer the impact with my foot under said object.
But having that kick in, and then have to try and over-ride it before I'm impaled with a sharp object, learning my lesson the hard way with that too.