PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
I have this little no-name pipe in a box of old pipes that have just been sitting for a while. It has no discernable manufacturers markings or stem markings. Any way, it is in pretty rough shape.

So, I decided it has waited long enough. I went to work on the bowl to see what might be behind the grime. I reamed it, salt treatment, retort, strip and sanded it, and then went to work bringing it back to life. Here is what I ended up with

Yes, it has a few fills, but nothing I can't work with. I am pleasantly surprised at how it came out. Now I need to make a stem. I will keep you all posted.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
kf4bsb:
Congratulations on your refinishing of the bowl, it looks well! As for the stem, rather than make a new one why not cut off and drill-out the broken tenon, and then replace it with a piece of appropriately drilled black Delrin rod stock? In this way you could maintain the majority of the integrity of the pipe (that is if the stem does not have any other major problems).
Regardless, I'm eager to see the finished product.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
I had considered going the Delrin tenon route as I have done it for my own pipes as well as pipes for others, and I still might. This is one of those pipes that happened to be in a box of estate pipes I bought and has just been sitting around. I really had no plans for it, but it just looked a little sad sitting there so I figured, "why not". I haven't really decided which route I am going to take with this one yet, but I will keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.