This Is Why Academic Intellectuals Generally Suck For The Most Part...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Before the beast is unleashed, let me interject a supposition:
(1) "climate change" is one of those polarizing debates that consumes all other discussion;

(2) it also gets us off-track from a discussion we probably should have, which is overall human impact on the environment.
I find this more compelling:
http://www.deepecology.org/mission.htm

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Climate change on this planet has been occurring since there was this planet. Man-made? I think we humans have a propensity for over blowing our impact. Some of us think we are "special." I think we are but, are only in the sense that we alone are capable of fixing our mistakes. Other species can only adjust. Too many field mice and the owl population increases. Too many bears, other bears remedy the situation. Man is just too insignificant to have much, if any, real effect on the planet itself. Many feel differently of course and will adjust the data as necessary to support their thesis.
My opinion only of course.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
another factor is forest fires aren't burning unhindered anymore.
That's an interesting point. Sometimes I think this is a bad thing, since forests need to clear the build-up much like collectors (sometimes!) need to sell of lesser-used pipes.
Many feel differently of course and will adjust the data as necessary to support their thesis.
This and its counterpart of cherry-picking data -- not having all the facts -- seem to me the primary human error.
Logic works from cause to effect. Humans have a tendency to work backward, assuming that a given effect always leads to the same cause. This allows them to equate mental effect with cause, and by editing that mental effect, assume they have controlled the cause.
A mundane example: "The pipe gurgles, therefore it must be bad." Bad pipes are one cause of pipe gurgling, but so also are wet tobaccos, smoking too fast, and drooling. If the smoker assumes that he is infallible, the cause is always the pipe, or he can convince himself of that fact and fail to eliminate the actual cause. Scapegoat, cherry-picking and thesis-adjusting are all present.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I'm done with the politics. The problem I see with the O/P, is the diversity of academia and intellectuals. Hard sciences (chemistry, math physics etc), social "science" and political "science" and the various arts, history, and whatever. It is too hard to make generalizations that apply across the board. History is my primary interest, and it has taken many twists and turns in terms of what is accepted and then disregarded. Some of the more recent books I have read have an new agenda, but are still fascinating. Just have the sense of an old cow, eat the hay, and leave the sticks.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
...good point, but the prevailing problem seems to be that many eat the sticks, thus sticking-eating becomes popular and hay-eating becomes demonized.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
^^^^ LOL still LOL
You definitely look deeper than most. Not sure how far I want to go down the rabbit hole, but glad that you do.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Glad it brought some mirth!
I have always found rabbit to be rather tasty, but tricky to cook.

May 31, 2012
From the Trivial Structures of an Affine Money Bundle Overpriced Aftermarket to Instations

in the Small Universe of the Classic British Dark Flake

(High Energy Demand Theory)
Abstract
Trivial tobacconalian invariants are related to the dark energy contained within Stonehaven dark flake. Moreover, Germain's equation in type 3 steam-pressing with added black treacle in the presence of noncommutative retailers gives an ingenious framework for bounding the cosmic coincidence problem of continual unavailability.
Continuing with this method, through classifying the omega deformation of a strange crystallization known as "plume" or "bloom" in tobacconista social circles, we generalize a certain notion of hyped duality, most notably known as "Penzance", and review nicotine body flow equations in extremal Matrix Models far from the blend defects or other indicators, and discover that a formulation of unitarity in Heterotic processing theory deformed by five quark F-terms derives from a blackened steamed leaf probe in the early universe, and review this localization.
The title of this article refers to hyperplane defects in the North American distribution channels. Our determination of empty carts gives rise to special lagrangian brains wrapping a T^2 x CY_n x C^n. Before investigating quintessence at any aftermarket scalping, we check that, as hinted at by public ballyhoo, a matrix analytic continuation of models of condensates without any known alternative to exist.
Remarkably, our results prove that flavor at the edge of our Esotrerican universe derives from demystifying old-timey manufacturing techniques deformed by grey market operators, without regard to canonical singularities of the enthusiasts Holy Grail.
We leave the rest for future study.
Please do continue the research in this ever important field.
Humbly your servant,

doctorlowercase
:puffy:

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
In my experience, what happens is that marketing promises something, management dithers and mission creep occurs, and then middle management forces the deadline on programmers without much feedback back up to the top, and so they do everything they can and ignore the parts that don't fit the budget, then ship at deadline, ready or not.
Oh man, as somebody on the shitty end of the equation this is so true. It's also a reminder that I get to face it again tomorrow after a week and a half off. :(

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
perdurabo surmised,
Tuold, you wouldn't be pointing a finger at scams like man-made climate change, would You? No you wouldn't do such a malicious thing as that. I must be speculating, time to retire the read-between-lines Spectacles for the evening.
I don't have to go there! It's always safer to back in time for examples so that we can distance our theories from current political controversies. How about eugenics? What could possibly go wrong if all you want to do is improve the human race? It had widespread academic and scientific support as well as PR campaigns and government funding for grants. They even had international conferences very much like the climate ones we see today.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
From the Trivial Structures of an Affine Money Bundle Overpriced Aftermarket to Instations

in the Small Universe of the Classic British Dark Flake
(High Energy Demand Theory)
Abstract
Trivial tobacconalian invariants are related to the dark energy contained within Stonehaven dark flake. Moreover, Germain's equation in type 3 steam-pressing with added black treacle in the presence of noncommutative retailers gives an ingenious framework for bounding the cosmic coincidence problem of continual unavailability.
Continuing with this method, through classifying the omega deformation of a strange crystallization known as "plume" or "bloom" in tobacconista social circles, we generalize a certain notion of hyped duality, most notably known as "Penzance", and review nicotine body flow equations in extremal Matrix Models far from the blend defects or other indicators, and discover that a formulation of unitarity in Heterotic processing theory deformed by five quark F-terms derives from a blackened steamed leaf probe in the early universe, and review this localization.
The title of this article refers to hyperplane defects in the North American distribution channels. Our determination of empty carts gives rise to special lagrangian brains wrapping a T^2 x CY_n x C^n. Before investigating quintessence at any aftermarket scalping, we check that, as hinted at by public ballyhoo, a matrix analytic continuation of models of condensates without any known alternative to exist.
Remarkably, our results prove that flavor at the edge of our Esotrerican universe derives from demystifying old-timey manufacturing techniques deformed by grey market operators, without regard to canonical singularities of the enthusiasts Holy Grail.
We leave the rest for future study.
Please do continue the research in this ever important field.
Humbly your servant,

doctorlowercase
You didn't use the term lattice or latticing. How can I take seriously any abstract that lacks such a reference?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
A pertinent article to the topic at hand:
Fully 65 percent of U.S. universities unable to successfully teach their students math, economics, government, science and literature
http://www.naturalnews.com/052292_university_education_essential_knowledge_ACTA.html

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
tuold, I was throwing scams in your mouth :rofl:
Eugenics! Margret Sanger! Connect those dotted lines to Europe in the 1930's and you may hit a 21 century bone.

May 31, 2012
You didn't use the term lattice or latticing. How can I take seriously any abstract that lacks such a reference?
I did too talk about lettuce,

and cabbage,

all relevant to my modeling thesis.
I suspect you only skimmed

and didn't really read it.

:)

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Connect those dotted lines to Europe in the 1930's and you may hit a 21 century bone.
And a minority view that made hold some interesting questions:
http://www.ideasinactiontv.com/tcs_daily/2006/01/the-metaphysics-of-conservatism.html

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
The comments to that article Deathmetal are more interesting than the article. One thing I can add, social conservatism is just as fascist as Progressive Statism and Bleeding Heart Evangelical Conservatism is just as Altruistic as Progresssive Statism.
Conservatism is as conservative as the original intent of a countries origin. Unless you except conservatism as a political philosophy that is at its roots Lassiez Faire and based on a foundation of the civil society.
Trace the road of of the Progressive philosophy and it begins to get ugly real quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.