PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I sent my favorite Meer, my Altinok, to Briarville and then Tim West. Briarville was a complete ClusterF,if you recall, and Tim West didn't turn out much better. For whatever reason, I'm sure for expediency and cheap, Briarville unnecessarily drilled out the shank to fit their POS stem instead of fitting a stem to my pipe. Took West tried to put an insert/sleeve into the shank and use the bottom half of the original stem. That fit was all wobbly and I believed over time, would have ruined the pipe.

So I sent it to Ryan Alden to have it done right. Yes,it was quite expensive but worth every single penny. Beautiful stem that compliments the pipe, draw is fabulous and the fit is flawless. Tim West had my pipe for four weeks. Ryan had it for less than 2 days. Thank you Ryan, outstanding work!

To be clear, I never told Briarville or Tim West I wanted a cheap solution. In fact, I was clear I was fine paying for a custom stem if that was going to be the best solution.

IMG_1365.jpegIMG_1366.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Looks great, he did a stem and band for me a couple months ago and it looks fantastic. He's a real craftsman and so easy to work with. The turn around was quick as well and yea, not cheap lol.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
Kind of bummed hearing about Tim West. I was hoping to run into him Friday at the Columbus pipe show. I have a pipe that needs a new stem and after a failed attempted at another shop in Columbus I was hoping Tim would be a good person to have fix it.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Kind of bummed hearing about Tim West. I was hoping to run into him Friday at the Columbus pipe show. I have a pipe that needs a new stem and after a failed attempted at another shop in Columbus I was hoping Tim would be a good person to have fix it.
I think if you have a face to face with Tim,he can do a decent job. I think he's very busy and you have to get him to focus on your expectations.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I am curious after all is said and done, what are your overall thoughts on the grades of repairs that are out there and how to best navigate them? I try to mention this in all of these repair posts, nothing wrong with Briarville or any other repairer for that matter, if your expectations are correct going in. Was it a failure with the first two not understanding your desire or was it a failure to execute knowing damn well they had all the info needed? Was it a price point that they cannot meet or a quality of work they couldn't meet, etc. Those types of discussions would be great around this place.

Awesome pipe stem Mr Alden, sexy as hell. Glad you got a pipe you are happy with hoosier!