PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
If i have someting to say ,i will, but most of the time i just read and listen.

growing up if i spoke up i got hit, guess that's still with me at 64

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Whatever you get though, there is a rescue league for that breed, look there first and save a dogs life.
+1000
Rosie we found at the animal shelter and Roxy I found in a parking lot as I left the gym one afternoon. I took her to the shelter because Shih-Tzus are expensive dogs and I thought the owners would be looking for her, but nope. A week later I adopted her and she's been by my side ever since. Some people see shelter dogs as throwaways, but it is the people who should be thrown away because the dog is just fine.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Has anyone here ever had a Rhodesian Ridgeback?
I have wondered about those dogs for exactly this purpose.

colesradioactive

Might Stick Around
Apr 3, 2012
I'm with mlyvers, a boxer is an awesome dog. I've had 4 and IMO they bond stronger with their owners then most dogs. My male that I have now is about 4.5, his name is Evander, and he is my shadow. Most people think boxers are really hyper dogs, and while they can go outside an play an play, they can also be very calm. Every boxer I've had seems to mimic my mood and temperament. Evander is probably the best, most well behaved dog I've ever had. He is as friendly as can be but at the same time, he doesn't trust strangers and if I have someone new over to my house, he won't let them out of his sight. He will even follow them at a distance if they go to the bathroom an sit outside the door! Mostly he stays indoors and sits no more than 3 ft away from me at all times.
I traveled about 10 months out of the year for work during the first 3 years I had him so I sort of trained him to only listen to me and while it comes in handy, my fiancé hates it! He just refuses to listen to anyone but me. Anyway my rambling has gone on long enough, so to make a short story, boxers are great dogs. I wouldn't have any other breed.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
My good friend and neighbor had a boxer, fartiest dog I ever knew. He must have tried 50 dog foods, and in the end just lived with it. Someone else told me it is a trait of the dog.
@simenon, Rhodesian Ridgeback's are a pipe carving dog from Africa. They make a slightly curved stem, stout tapering bowl pipe. You mostly see them rusticated because of the sharp teeth, and the time used licking them smooth can be used to make the owners more pipes. I have several and once you get past the dog drool smell they smoke pretty good. Do not confuse them with a Bulldog, which some people do.

colesradioactive

Might Stick Around
Apr 3, 2012
I believe it is. My dog farts more than any 2 people I know. Loud too, sometimes it's just swoosh sound but other times it sounds as if he'd blow the seat of his pants out, if he was wearing any that is. It's funny because everytime he let's one loose, he gets up an walks across the room like he didn't do it.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
I know this a little off topic but i was just wondering if anyone here has an airedale? Im wanting a new dog as well and was thinking about getting one. Any info would be greatly appreciated

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
@simenon, Rhodesian Ridgeback's are a pipe carving dog from Africa. They make a slightly curved stem, stout tapering bowl pipe. You mostly see them rusticated because of the sharp teeth, and the time used licking them smooth can be used to make the owners more pipes.
:rofl:
now I know where that gurgle is coming from.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Haha, what a bunch of comedians... Thanks for the laugh, pipeinhand.
All the same, the Rhodesian Ridgebacks seem like wonderful dogs but I have concerns about the climate. It looks like they could use warmer climes than I have to offer.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Thanks roth.
I knew the Ridgies were large - that is not a problem - but I will have to do more research about how they cope with cold weather.
The one dog that is proven to thrive in this climate - the Newfoundland - is a gentle giant and I assume they are not much good for guard situations so I will have to stay on the lookout for suitable breeds.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I've heard that too. It is an impressive history, if that is the case...
The African settlers needed strong and fast and loyal dogs so I am sure they are bred for a high level of performance, I just don't know if they fit my needs. I do like everything I've ever read about them, however, and I'm interested in knowing more.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I think we're headed towards a Dobie. I was really thinking of the German but from what I've now learned, the shedding will be a big problem.

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
Who says you can't smoke a dog? And certainly with one...
Nording_pipe_tobacco_sampler_zpsdc6e6715.jpg

Guess what blend intrigues me? :lol:

pauljmjr

Lurker
Sep 8, 2012
I have a 170 pound English Mastiff and a 9 pound Boston Terrier. Guess which one makes the better watchdog? You got it. - the Boston. She barks like crazy when anyone comes aroud. But although the Mastiff looks really manacing and her sheer size is very intimidating, the truth Is that she is truly a gente giant. Both are great breeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.