PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chlorophil7

Might Stick Around
Feb 19, 2015
So I have read about tongue bite, and it being from smoking too fast and the tobacco being too most...
What other things should I try to avoid while starting out?
~Philip

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Always smoke a bent pipe while driving. If you are clenching a straight pipe and have a fender bender the pipe will go through the back of your throat when the air bag deploys............... 8O

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Always smoke a bent pipe while driving. If you are clenching a straight pipe and have a fender bender the pipe will go through the back of your throat when the air bag deploys.
Well yeah, there is that!!!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's mostly tempo and small "sips" as some say.
I wouldn't play goalie on the ice with a pipe in my mouth. Defensemen might, but not the goalie. I'd avoid the pipe while sky diving. Well, at least wait for the chute to open. You might lose the pipe when the chute opens. Load and light the pipe before pulling away from the curb say some. It's tough to keep the pipe going when swimming, I've seen it done, but not competitively, swimming not the pipe. On the range you want to stick to handguns. The recoil of long guns might damage pipe or teeth. Bull riding? I think not, hard on bits. I'm pretty sure others will have something to say about what to avoid whilst enjoying a bowl.
Cigars! I forgot cigars. Shouldn't be enjoyed at the same time as a pipe.
Sex? Smoking after sex is acceptable. Smoking during sex? Well, that's an indicator of too much friction.

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
Always avoid smoking your pipe in an enclosed area while cleaning your pipes with an open container of Everclear.

chlorophil7

Might Stick Around
Feb 19, 2015
How about smoking in the shower? :D

Should one one clean their pipe with body wash or shampoo. If shampoo, should one use conditioner too, or should someone only use conditioner if they think their pipe smokes to harshly and needs smoothing out?

~Philip

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Stay away from carbonated drinks while smoking. Will set your tongue on fire!

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Smoke Nazis
9gYuUXj.jpg

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Don't try doing very active things while clenching a pipe if you're new to it. I managed to bite through a stem while chopping firewood.
In all seriousness, I have actually used soap to clean a pipe before. I used multipurpose organic soap. :P

Jun 4, 2014
Operating a snow blower, when the wind gust hit I ended up looking like Frosty complete with pipe! Not one of my brighter ideas.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Maybe not a snowblower, but I found shoveling the snow an easy activity to keep the pipe lit.....actually I'm about to load up and do a second round of testing with the latest snowfall here in VA.

Mar 1, 2014
Always smoke a bent pipe while driving. If you are clenching a straight pipe and have a fender bender the

pipe will go through the back of your throat when the air bag deploys.
Good grief I never thought about that.

My truck right now is 30 years old and has no airbags so I can still smoke my favourite pipes with impunity, but it's certainly a good thing to keep in mind.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I avoid it while watching sports. I was watching a great game and didn't realize I was puffing like a freight train, scorched the hell out of my tongue. DOH!

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
This is a good read about tongue bite.. http://binsbergenpipes.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=6

Status
Not open for further replies.