PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
unkelyoda - your memory doesn't fail you. It was me who popped into the Dunhill shop that still sells Dunhill tobacco (different from the Dunhill luxury good shop which is just up the road). And, yes, he did seem to hint that discussions were continuing and that the blends were safer than it seemed on the surface. I hope to go into London in the next week or two - I will ask him if there is any update.
Mike
I look forward to any updates.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Sorry to monger the rumor, then. Still - nothing to do with the FDA.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
We've been on a long journey here, since I said I don't wear pants. I think we can all declare ourselves Shaolin

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
5. Become an anarchist opposed to gov't regulation

7. Really get good at Sudoku
#7 - done. #5 - perilously close if I over-indulge in news programming.
You could also move to Denver or Seattle and research a custom blend called My Mixture 420...

31G1xvYGo6L._AC_SL230_.jpg

It smells nothing like tobacco, and they make way more money selling this whore bath and leather wallets than they do pipe tobacco.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Regardless, losing Dunhill blends is a non issue except for those hanging on the the faded sheen of their marque.
We have numerous blends as good or better than any Dunhill labelled blend, Elizabethan Blend perhaps excepted. Many made right here in the USA.
I'd urge folks to make the switch now.
If you don't you'll be lamenting something that died long ago.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Desperate times call for desperate measures, and drinking Mad Dog 20/20 is pretty desperate.

If Dunhill tobacco's do disappear I will be sad, but not sad enough to drink that crap. LOL

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I hope that, as woodsroad and sablebrush have reminded us, that someone is going to snatch up and license the blends. Because Mr. Othman is right... there is no substitute for the 'Yacht.
weeps profoundly

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I am wondering what to do without Royal Yacht.
Me too.
I threw out my one and only tin last summer, only to find it sitting at the curb after the trash truck left.

Then I took it to the monthly Hazardous Waste Pickup Day at the township building, but they refused to take it and promptly called the EPA. I left as the guys in Tyvek jumpsuits were pulling up. So I put the tin in the basement, and although I'm happy to say that house has been mouse-free ever since, and the weeds around the house have died, I've had to replace the hot water heater twice now and the cable is always on the fritz.
I'm thinking that the DOD could weaponize this stuff and drop a few hundred dozen tins on North Korea.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Hmm I'll just continue to smoke what I like and won't miss a blend from them at all. Least of all royal yuck.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
My concern is not with the name "Dunhill". I don't intend to own one of their belts, or their cologne, or their overpriced cigarettes or their pipes for that matter. Obviously somebody is blending these tobaccos today and it ain't Old Alfred. I don't care what "name" the blender sticks on it, I don't want to lose Nightcap, EMP, Royal Yacht, etc... Call it Nightcrap, ESP, Royal Twat, I really don't care. Just keep the blends available for the smokers who enjoy them. I think that is what most fans of these blends are looking for - an assurance that the blender is still going to make them or they will pass the recipes on to another blender who will. Dunhill as a brand can jump in a lake of their own perfume for all I care. :puffy:

Twenty years down the road...

future person 1... "look I found this vintage ad for that cologne company. It says they used to make pipe stuff."

future person 2... "Yeh, I think they made pipes, but they were more famous for their cigarettes."
And, they would be 100% true. Next time you see someone with a pack of Dunhill cigarettes ask them if they know anything about Dunhill pipes. Pipes will merely be an asterisk in the story of Dunhill.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
loborx, the Dunhill blends are manufactured by STG. Depending on the verbiage of their contract with BAT, I would find it very likely that if Dunhill pulls the plug on pipe tobacco, that STG will continue to manufacture these blends, or something very, very similar. The FDA Deeming regulations, as they now stand, allow for packaging changes (i.e. rebranding) as long as the product remains the same. So the pre-2007 Dunhill blends should remain in production, provided STG thinks that they will be profitable.

Lets encourage the owner of the recipes of the tobaccos formerly known as Dunhill to rename them after CS Lewis books.

Nightcap could become The White Witch, Morning Early Morning could become Aslan's Dream, Royal Yacht could become The Dawn Treader. Tolkien always gets all the pipe smoking street creds. But, Lewis was just as much a pipe smoker, plus he made better stories, IMO.
Edit: drats, Woods already dumped the cold water on that idea.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
As far as I'm concerned, they could rename them all for the decaying cities of New Jersey.

Nightcap could be Newark, Elizabethan Mixture could be Elizabeth, Royal Yacht could be Camden, Dark Flake could be Trenton......

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
warren and sable, those are clarifying posts and make things at least slightly clearer. I still think, in the way of corporate quarterly greed, the pipe tobacco portion of the cigarette business could still be sold off, perhaps with some modification of the name. I'm dubious a dormant line is going to eventually be more profitable than cash for an active one now. Even with a name change, once it was established that they had the former Dunhill blends, it would be valuable enough, and the Dunhill cigarette people would get a pleasing infusion of cash. Depends on ownership. If it is closely held in partnership or within a family, this might make some arbitrary sense to some one of the players. If it is publicly traded, I'd think the shareholders would want the money, now, yesterday.
woodsroad -- Royal Yacht = Camden ... I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.