Theodore! HU, What, When, Where, How.....

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I bought some stuff from HU when it was not such a problem. From your pic I also have:
Dockworker

Fayyum

Sunset

and Aus Dem Krater No.'s 1 through 5
I got some other things like Director's Cut and stuff that was not available in the US.
I should have bought more.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
My favorites have been Manyara, Nashville County, Louisiana Broken, Old Fredders, Flanagan, Fayum Cake and Zulu. Right behind those are Director's Cut, Makhuwa and Dockworker. The Virginias are very good but nothing special compared to many other Virginia blends that are less money and more readily available.

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
The book is really just a very nice hardbound catalig, but it’s mostly in German (except for a section written by Arno!), My high school German can’t keep up.
I also love the book, reminds me a bit of the old Dunhill catalogues. Sounds crazy perhaps but whenever I feel stressed I just read and flip through the book, it has something soothing. About my section, I was asked some time ago by Hans to write something about one of his tobacco lines. It was to be translated into German later according to him. So I did and heard nothing about it. Until the Lohmar pipe show this year when I met Hans and he said he had something for me: his tobacco catalogue. I was flipping through it and suddenly saw my section, I did not know he would use it. And in English yes. Pretty neat! :D
You bought a nice range, congratulations! I am also glad you ordered Janneman Flake :mrgreen:

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
Arno, it's a very small world that we live in.

What other HU blends would you recommend?
Well, you bought them all :P The United Passion Flakes are all good. Fayyum Kake is excellent. Further I would say Director's Cut, Olaf's Favourite English and Balkan Passion. But I have to say I have to try the newer ones yet. And of course you can't go wrong with the PRF tobaccos Janneman Flake, Brullende Leeuw and Genietmoment :mrgreen: By the way, the Aus Dem Krater No 5. you bought is Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky with a different label. Made in the same factory.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
By the way, the Aus Dem Krater No 5. you bought is Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky with a different label. Made in the same factory.
Interesting. I'm assuming that's an STG product then? Any others in the HU line?

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
Interesting. I'm assuming that's an STG product then? Any others in the HU line?
Well, the Aus Dem Krater range is Selected by Hu Tobacco. That means that Hans Wiedemann did not create them. I don't know them all but it seems the Aus Dem Krater range is what I call the "typical German tobacconist range". Many German tobacconists have the same house-blends, only the labels on the tins (or the tins themselves) are different. For example Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky I know under many names:
Dark Strong Kentucky Orlik Peter Heinrichs "Dark Strong Flake" Kohlhase & Kopp

Dark Strong Kentucky Orlik Pfeifenstudio Frank "Black and White" Kohlhase & Kopp

Dark Strong Kentucky Orlik Thomas Behrend "42" Kohlhase & Kopp

Dark Strong Kentucky Orlik Pfeifen Bier "23" Kohlhase & Kopp

Dark Strong Kentucky Orlik Schneiderwind "Darley Moor" Kohlhase & Kopp

Dark Strong Kentucky Orlik Diehl "Special Blend The Tiger" Kohlhase & Kopp

Dark Strong Kentucky Orlik Tabakhaus Bielefeld Crüwell "45" Kohlhase & Kopp

Dark Strong Kentucky Orlik Tabak-Keistler "Bivisible" Kohlhase & Kopp

Dark Strong Kentucky Orlik Rauch in Wetzlar "Tabakskollegium Nr. 3" Kohlhase & Kopp

Dark Strong Kentucky Orlik Bonner Pfeifen&Cigarrenhaus "Nr 29" Kohlhase & Kopp

You see Kohlhase & Kopp as manufacturer, but that is not entirely true. Unlike a tobacco manufacturer like Danpipe, Kohlhase & Kopp don't make their tobaccos from start (raw untreated tobacco) to finish. K&K get their mixing tobaccos (cased and ready) from Orlik in big boxes. Then they are blended together and perhaps some aroma is added. Flakes K&K get ready-made from Orlik. Ok, perhaps they can put a little aroma on them but that's it.
The "Blended by HU Tobacco" blends are recipes from Hans Wiedemann that are made according to his specifications at Danpipe and K&K. Just like GL Pease let his tobaccos being made at Cornell & Diehl. I am not 100% sure but I think the whole United Passion Flakes range is made by Danpipe. You actually can see where the tobaccos are made at the tax-number on the tax-seal. 26602 is Kohlhase & Kopp and 28712 is DTM.

Status
Not open for further replies.