PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have to say, refraining from buying any more pipes, for a few weeks anyway, has put me

back into the extensive rotation, and the thoroughly broken-in pipes are unbeatable for

a good smoke. Last night I got back to a Peterson Kapet slightly bent author, and though

it took forever, it is now well broken in, and it unfolds a well-modulated aromatic like you

wouldn't believe. Get back to those old favorites, and enjoy! Don't you love 'em when they

have a good solid cake and an aged, dried briar? (I know you estate pipe guys take this

for granted, but it's a luxury.) Just had an OTC in a Mountain Laurel poker/sitter. Ah.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I wholeheartedly agree, MSO. One of my excuses for not owning very many pipes is that if I won't give them all enough love. I can distinctly taste the difference in one of my well broken pipes, and one that I don't smoke much at all, and though they are both high quality pipes, I much favor the well caked pipe for taste and smoke quality.
Or it could be that the nasty, gunky, tarred up taste is what I like!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I only have 21 briar pipes and I admit since I only smoke maybe 4-6 bowls per week that some of my pipes get more love than others. I have recently started a method where I start from the left side of the rac and work my way to the right, which lets the pipe sometimes decide the smoke (I do admit I jump some and move them). While all of mine aren't quite broken in yet I can tell the difference on some of my more used pipes.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'll admit to buying some new pipes over the past few years but a large part of my collection is over 30 years old. I also admit that it's fun spending time with the senior pipes. Too often I can't remember where or when I bought them but there are some real stars among the herd. So, yes, give the old ones their proper time and be rewarded with a great smoke. Well said, sir.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You guys know I'm an older British estate guy for that very reason.

This week, I'm enjoying a newly restored, 40 year old (+?) Sasieni and a new Rad Davis. The Sasieni fell into an easy smoker immediately, like an old friend. I don't buy many new pipes and breaking in the Rad Davis has taken some time that I'm frankly not used to. My Rad friends say it will come into its own, and I need to give it a few more bowls. I'm just not used to this process.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
@Bigvan
I enjoy a new pipe as much as the next guy, but there is something about getting a 1934 Dunhill that just makes me feel good.
Or, having a pipe that has been broken in 'for me' at about 1/2 the price of a new one means I feel a little less guilty.
Just a little.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Allan, I absolutely agree with that good, old wood can make for an OUTSTANDING pipe.
I was just trying to make a small joke about the grammar, questioning if "Them Old Pipes Smoke Good" is actually "well put".
Yeah, jokes are always funnier when you have to explain them.

Aug 14, 2012
Al: It might take more than a few more bowls. More like a few more months or years. My 2009 Rad is smoking extremely well now. I had to remove the awful tasting finish with alcohol and smoke it for a few years to get it right. I gave up on my other Rad after a few years and sold it.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I'm always surprised when someone puts up their nose at a good estate pipe (dirty). Clean it up and disinfect it like it deserves, and smoke it.
I have to admit that a couple of my old Kaywoodies and Grabows are some of my favorites (when I say old, I mean 30's to 60's vintage) and I have friends that won't buy a new pipe.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I am clearly in the minority, but I love breaking in a new pipe! There is no question that once the pipe is broken in, that it will smoke better. But I truely love the journey the pipe goes through from it's first bowl to when it has been fully broken in. I find that estate pipes, even though previously broken in, do not allow the ower to experience this journey in the same way. You do not get to experience the growth and maturity the pipe gets to develop.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
A good number of my pipes are pretty ancient. The oldest is probably a store brand apple from Campbell's Smoke Shop in E. Lansing that I bought in 1972 or 1973. I think it cost me $10, which would have made it one of my most expensive pipes at that time, too. Smokes great. :)

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
yazamitaz said:

... I only smoke maybe 4-6 bowls per week ...
gosh, yaz ... jiminks is good for at least that many after dinner every day, though few among us come close to that superhuman pace ... in my case, I generally go through 4-6 in a couple of days though admittedly, the majority of my pipes are on the smallish size ...
I admire your restraint, though I don't know that I could cut it back quite that far ...

Status
Not open for further replies.